The day started with pee and ended with poop.
Does that entice you to continue?
I'll start at the end. We were getting Brady stripped down for his bath tonight. I commented about how Brady had yet to poop for the day. Smarter parents would have skipped the bath altogether. Instead, I reviewed with Brady what he was supposed to do if he felt the urge coming on. Obviously, he's supposed to tell us, via sign language (make a hole with right hand, thumb out with left, insert thumb in hole and remove). Also obvious (well maybe not), that I have absolutely no expectation of Brady actually performing this, but I just started teaching the poop sign to Brady hoping one day he'll tell me before he has to go. It's one thing saying "poop" and having Brady repeat the sign, it's another thing for him to sign after he actually poops (still helpful), and it's an entire other level for him to do this before he goes (most helpful). Brady can do one out of three of the three...and it's not the most helpful third option.
Anyway, after our sign language review session, Brady got in the tub. He was standing in the tub holding on to the side, his little butt hadn't even hit the water, when we hear "Plop, plop, plop" followed by a final "plop." Four turds into the clean water.
We'll need to have a review session tomorrow.
I find sign language is a more effective tool for Brady when he wants something. Not much use for it otherwise. The good news is Eric was home tonight since the team didn't have practice. Always nice to share the joy with another.
The day started less dramatically. Brady usually wakes up around 6:30. Sometimes, he'll squawk and let us know he's awake, but lots of times, I'll hear Brady talking to himself in the other room, content to roll around and do whatever he does in his crib. This morning, Brady was awake but was being quiet in his crib. Eric went in to his room and there he is, happy as a clam, wearing PJ's soaked in pee. How can that be comfortable?
Ok, enough talk about Brady's bathroom habits. Things were copacetic the rest of the day in that category. In other news, I officially look pregnant. I had two strangers today comment on the baby-to-be. It's always nice for a pregnant lady reach this milestone. For a solid month or so, I can see people's eyes glance towards the bump and continue conversation like it's not there. Not that I blame them, my biggest fear is to ask someone when they're due only to get blank stare or a punch in the nose.
The first question came during music class at the library from a woman about my age. I've always wanted to reply to the question, "When are you expecting?" with the response, "Expecting what?" but I resisted, knowing how mortified I'd be if I thought I got something like that wrong. I'll do it one day though, just need to find the right person.
The second question came at Panera from a 70-something man at a neighboring table. He was very sweet and said, "You're so thin that it almost looks like, well, you're just so thin that it looks like you could be expecting another baby." I guess he wasn't sure, but if he was wrong, I certainly couldn't be offended because he told me how skinny I was. Interesting strategy, sir.
Anyway, I'm glad to be passed of the stage of having to point out the red elephant every time I run into a friend or acquaintance.
To end on a high note, I want to let you know that I won the lottery tonight. We went out to dinner to celebrate Eric being home and we were walking through the parking lot back to our car. I saw what looked like a credit card lying on the ground. I bent down to see if someone had dropped it, but saw it was just a Walmart gift card, so I left it on the ground. "You're not going to pick it up?" asked my husband.
So I did, even though I detest Walmart. I scratched off the silver covering (I told you this was the lotto), called to check my balance and whadduya know....I am a winner! $9.59 just for me.
And yes, my husband straight-face suggested we go to Walmart right then to splurge on our winnings. I told him what every lotto winner knows. You have a wait, be intentional about what you buy, and never blow it all at once.
Now that I think about it, if we'd gone to Walmart after dinner, we would've skipped bathtime, and then my bathtub wouldn't have gotten cleaned tonight. Yes, everything happens for a reason.
No comments:
Post a Comment