Wednesday, September 10, 2014

"Diving" into bedtime.

I have documented Brady's "quirkiness" when it comes to his clothing, and as he has matured, so has his particular-ness.  His latest fashion rule is that he wants to match -- and for him matching means that if he wears an orange shirt, he must wear orange shorts (which of course, we don't own).  So we've been wearing a lot of all-black outfits, since that seems to make everyone happy.  Eric tried to reason with him this morning (he wanted yellow shorts with his yellow shirt) by explaining that matching doesn't mean everything must be the exact same color...and that was received as well as a diabetic receives cotton candy.

On top of that, of course, Brady must change into a jersey of some kind before nap time each day.  Its hit or miss whether he is receptive to changing back into his regular clothes for the second half of the day. Sometimes, its just not worth the effort.  And days like today, he wanted something completely different and I attempted to explain the concept of laundry...not sure it quite clicked.

The clip below is a standard bedtime conversation.  This clip shows both my children's current personalities quite nicely.  Jackson wants to jump off of everything and is extremely durable, thankfully.  A laundry basket is one the lower things he has found to heave himself off of.  And Brady, well you can see where his mind goes in this clip.  Or if its not clear, I'll explain it.  He wanted to wear his football jersey to bed and was reaching in his drawer to get his "football shorts."  But he blindly pulled out pants, which seemed like something a baseball player would wear, so he changed his mind.



He is currently wearing socks, pants, a baseball jersey and his glove and ball.  This is a new wrinkle.  When he's a football player, he slips with (not wearing) his football helmet and football.  When he's a basketball player, he needs his ball.  Please nobody introduce anymore sports in my house - at least not one with more gear.

And a cute side story for the night.  Brady has really been interested in reading his "Bible book" lately which has kid version stories of the Bible.  He's fixated on the "bad day" (ie the crucifixion) and always wants to see the picture of Jesus on the cross.  We show him Jesus' sad friends, explain that he was very hurt, but he died on the cross because he loves us.  Tonight, he asked, "Is Jesus going to dive into the sand?"  I was confused and trying to figure out where he got that from.  The ground did look a lot like sand, but I told him no, Jesus didn't dive into the sand.  Lightbulb moment: I realized that in Brady translation, "die" turned into "dive."  Don't sign me up to teach Sunday school.

Brady also knows that Jesus is in his heart (but also heaven...very confusing) and he frequently asks if Jesus is in his tummy.  The other day, Brady said he wanted to talk to God and I told him he could talk to God any time he wanted and God would listen.  If he was having a good day or a bad day, he could tell Jesus about it.  So he lifts up his shirt, looks down at his belly and yells, "Jesus, I'm having a bad day!"

I'm going to try that sometime.

1 comment:

  1. New sport: swimming. Limited gear. Limited laundry. Win win.

    ReplyDelete