Since I threw myself a pity party in the last two blog posts, I feel obligated to inform you that on night #3 a miracle did happen. Jackson slept in his new bed until 7 am. It was a glorious event. Of course, his little brother was in our room, waking me up for the standard requests (cover me up, scratch my back, make me a 5 course meal), but this is big news for Jackson, who very rarely slept through the night even in his old crib. Since the third miraculous night, he's slept until morning a few other times. Sometimes morning means 5 am and sometimes 7 am. When he does wake before morning, he's stopped his dramatic middle-of-the-night theatrics.
Bedtime requires a touch more patience than it did prior to last week, but that has also improved. Our bedtime routine was so routine that messing with it has even me a little off. In our old days, I used to really enjoy lying with Brady in his bed after Jackson was put down in his crib. Now, its a bit more challenging. Our new routine looks like this: after reading books, Jackson gets in the bed first, then Brady, then myself. We each say two things we are thankful to God for during that day. Jackson is new to this routine that used to just be Brady and mine, but I've been giving him a chance each night. Each night, he has answered "Emma's house," so he doesn't bring much variety to the table yet. I sing them a song, Brady climbs up to the top bunk, and everyone goes to sleep.... in theory.
The first night, I crawled up to the top bunk with Brady, because he made me feel back about not snuggling with him. I think when we (Eric and his cousin) disassembled and reassembled the bunk bed when we moved rooms a few months ago, some screws did not get put back in their secure positions. Or maybe I'm just really pregnant. Either way, I told Brady that I wouldn't be climbing up top any more.
So the reality is that Jackson usually gets up a few times, testing out his new freedom, but even those have been scaled back from the first few nights. The reality is that Brady may come down with is standard line, "I need to tell you something," and I'll be enlightened about some groundbreaking idea in his head. Then you'll tell him to walk back upstairs to bed and slowly creeps that direction. And its hard to argue when you tell him again to go upstairs and he says, "I am!" because in actuality, he is, just slower than any human should actually be able to move. But these are not new antics and I'm thankful to cross one more thing off the "to do" list before the baby arrives.
Next up... potty training! Volunteers???
No comments:
Post a Comment