Saturday, March 11, 2017

The Big Apple

It's Saturday and afternoon and I'm flying home to see my children. That's the good news, and the bad news. I flew up Thursday morning to watch the Heels play in the ACC tournament. A premature loss (to Duke no less), cut my vacation short. But I shouldn't complain: NYC, swanky hotel, no kids.  And, if you're going to stay in the Big Apple, the Four Seasons is the way to go. Especially if you're not paying the $800 per night pricetag. Here's is me, standing on our heated tiled bathroom floor, checking out our TV mirror.


Missed my opportunity to swim laps, but the pool was cool.
 
 

Thursday was beautiful and I was able to do some walking around.

 

We stayed near the World Trade Center and I visited the Oculus, the newly opened transportation hub and mall, which was super impressive. With a $4 billion price tag, it should be.

 

Yesterday's terrible weather gave me a good excuse to hibernate, which I did...and loved. Lots of reading. I met up with a friend and had a good meal in Brooklyn before the game and it was a wonderful day, until about 9pm.

The kids, as far as we know, have survived our absence. One particular stubborn girl has obviously taken things hardest. We had a bit of a mashup of childcare and Eric's family came through in he clutch, allowing me to take this trip. Grandma and Pop came the first day, passed the baton to our trusted babysitter for a few hours, and Eric's cousin and girlfriend who live in Raleigh, are finishing the race. Though, lucky for them, the race is a little shorter than they thought it might be. 

It sounds like Avery has been, well, Avery. Eric's mom got the worst night and last night Avery woke up just a few times but perhaps was tired from the previous night. Half the reason for me going on this trip was to wean my willful child. This trip may have helped but I'm not sure that we will be going cold turkey as I hoped. Especially with the prospect of 2-3 potential weekends in hotels during March Madness. Dear Lord help me. I may need all the weapons that I can get.

No comments:

Post a Comment