It had to be her.
If you’ve followed this blog for any of this past year, you know that she hasn’t caught many breaks in the “staying out of the doctor/ER” department (although probably not the best analogy, now that I think about it.) So it came as no surprise earlier this year when her preschool director gave me the results of their yearly eye screening. Avery’s first test in school? F-. She failed, which led me to call an optometrist for a visit.
For some background, Avery has PTSD when it comes to doctors, dentists, and anyone wearing white. I was on the phone scheduling Avery’s appointment and she was listening to my side of the conversation. At no point did I even say the word doctor, but she probably heard her own name, the word appointment, and she put some pieces together. Immediately, forcefully, and repeatedly she asked, “Who you talkin to?! Is it the doctor?” She becomes very suspicious any official sounding phone call I make and I have to clear the air with her anytime I hang up.
Needless to say, when we walked in to the optometrist lobby, which looks like any other doctors office lobby, she was not pleased. And when we got called back to the room and she saw the optometrist chair, she felt it looked far too much like the dentist chair she despised so greatly. It took a long time for her to warm up and realize things weren’t going to hurt like they sometimes do those other places. Except then she had to get her pupils dilated which required some brute force. There goes the trust I just gained. But, we pushed through the appointment and, maybe since we were there nearly 2 hours, she warmed up and we were able to determine the correct prescription for her lazy eye. She has an astigmatism in her left eye and because that eye wasn’t processing images correctly, her brain stopped using it, making it weaker. Her current prescription is hopefully getting her left eye working again, and when it is strong enough, she may have to patch the good eye to bring the left eye up to strength. At least that’s how I understand it.
No comments:
Post a Comment