Friday, September 13, 2024

Letters to Avery: 9 years old

 Avery,

Phew!  It's 11pm on your birthday and what a day it was! You woke up early, but not as early as your first day of school three weeks ago.  That morning, I awoke to a tap on the shoulder at 5am with a fully-dressed, ready-to-go, 3rd grader.  Nobody was as ready as you for 3rd grade, and with two middle school boys with a slightly different attitude, I appreciated the enthusiasm, even if it was at the expense of my sleeptime.  

You were very clear a month or two ago what you wanted for your birthday.  A shopping spree!  No party or friends needed, just mom, a mall, and a budget.  Unfortunately, you got born to the wrong mom, a lady who does all her shopping behind a keyboard.  But not having to plan or pay for a birthday party did seem attractive, so the shopping spree was planned!  I told you tonight that you better keep my secret.....the shopping spree was so fun!!!  For someone who loves to shop, you were so prudent with your money and at one point I had to explain that at the pace you were spending, you weren't going to spend even half of what we were planning!  $50 and 5 stores took over an hour!  There was no impulsivity, and it was very fun to watch how you navigated your money and time.  I was very impressed, and while your saavy was impressive, it was not surprising.  You knew it being your birthday would result in some favors and you cleverly asked me to casually drop that info to each cashier, which time after time yielded good results!  Starbucks was the most exciting stop as she comped your drink and gave you one bigger than your head!

Your shopping savvy is just an example of your overall savvy.  You are so good at social interactions, particularly with adults.  I can't imagine my 9 year old self navigating social situations as well as you do.  You are so observant, too observant sometimes. I can't get anything by you, from the smallest of thing, to the largest.  I hate to admit how many gifts you have "stumbled" across.  Now you just roll your eyes at me when you find something.  And the things you notice? A few examples -- last week I polished my wedding ring at home.  Within 10 minutes of seeing you, you noticed that my ring was sparkling and asked about it. Anything on my body that has changed will be noticed!  Armando Bacot and other UNC players sometimes shoot commercials in our gym. Last year, Armando had left the gym and hour or so before you got home from school.  You walked in the gym, took a sniff, and said, "was Armando here?" (BTW, that was not an insult, was a good Armando smell, but one I could have never diagnosed).

I focused on one very small part of your personality and could write about you and your amazing qualities for days.  You continue to impress and inspire me and I am so thankful to witness you going from a girl to a young woman.  It is a such a blessing to be you mom.

Love,

Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment