
On Friday, we packed up our new family-friendly Sedan (just traded the BMW for a Camry) to visit our friends Chad and Jessica and our godsons Payton and Owen. Thanks to Brady's early wake-up call and fantastic car behavior, we made it to Charleston before lunch. Packing is a big deal in our house as Eric prides himself on being prepared for every situation that arises. Think we might go to the beach? Better bring 3 towels, 2 swimsuits, suncreens with various SPFs and aloe, in case we get burnt. Add a child to the mix and preparation takes on a whole new meaning. Needless to say, when Eric got home from work on Thursday and I announced that Brady's bag was packed, Eric looked at me with an untrusting eye and asked if I had anticipated every possible scenario and packed accordingly. I'm proud to say that with the exception of the first lunch when, after Brady quite audibly relieved himself, this rookie mom found her very full diaper bag to be free of diapers, I did a pretty good job packing. And luckily, there was a Publix across the street, so we were able to avert the crisis before the main course came. I made it through the rest of the weekend without any packing mishaps (not counting me forgetting my cell phone in Durham).
We've gone to the beach with Chad and Jessica prior to children entering our lives, and less planning was required to make those trips. Throw on a suit, pack up some towels, and you're good to go. I will let the picture below illustrate how times have changed.
We hired two trusted sitters on Saturday night and had our first night out without Brady. Even without Brady in tow, my accessories needed to be altered. Instead of toting around a cute clutch, I brought with me my breast pump (which thankfully, to the untrained eye, looks like a ugly black purse), so as to avoid being responsible for having to cut our night out short. Mercifully, my lactation needs held out and we were home before such devices were needed. Brady was sleeping soundly when we returned, of course, oblivious to his parents' absence.

Sunday, we packed up and took a shorter trip to the pool. After sleeping for about two hours, Eric broke the cardinal rule of babies and attempted to wake up Brady so he could "play." I fed Brady and if its possible to eat and sleep at the same time, Brady did it. We put him into some swimmers and Eric took him into the pool where (not so) shockingly, he didn't stir from his nap. I guess that means he liked the pool? In the heat of the Charleston summer, he probably felt like he was back where he came from.
Kade and his girlfriend also drove down to celebrate America's birthday, as well as Kade's 32nd. As you can see below, Uncle Kade and Owen shared a sweet moment over a beer. He needed a few of those to survive the weekend. They hadn't been in town more than two hours when Kade's girlfriend walked into the room and Payton firmly declared, "You do
not look pretty." This was a lie, of course, and she gets 5 gold stars for surviving and even appearing to enjoy the weekend.
Times have changed, but certainly for the better. Thanks to the Webb Family for hosting us. Hopefully, we'll be invited back!
No comments:
Post a Comment