In case you thought I was joking about Brady being an expressive child, here is video evidence. If your last name isn't Hoots or Howe, this might be the most boring minute of your day, but hey, I don't remember forcing you on to this site.
Brady is a champ whenever I take him out. He does great in strollers, cars, and stores, normally sleeping through any bump and all noises that are thrown his way. Yesterday, I took him to a friend's son's 4th grade AAU basketball game. The game prior to theirs had gone into overtime and although it was the consolation game, I think these parents believed in their hearts that if their sons won, they would go home with not only a 3rd place trophy, but a full ride college scholarship, which would inevitably lead to a first-round NBA draft pick. With about 10 seconds to go, the team that led by two was fouled. The boy who shot the two free throws was greeted with a gym full of boos. Did I mention these were 4th graders? In a consolation game? The boo-birds' mission was completed as the boy missed his free throws. The trailing team inbounded the ball and dribbled over half court for a chance for a last second shot for the win. Two dribbles over half court and the ball was heaved towards the basket. It didn't make the Top 10 on Sportscenter, but only because everyone in the gym was too busy screaming and didn't have the wherewithal to record the buzzer beating bank shot that won the game. Chaos ensued and yes, parents did rush the court.
The reason for this tangent was to 1) illustrate the sad state of children's sports - I want Brady to participate in team sports, but if loonies like this can be avoided, I'll be more eager to sign him up. Maybe a parent-free league? 2) illustrate Brady's ability to sleep through anything. The people in that gym screamed louder than tweens at a Justin Bieber concert and Brady didn't bat an eyelash. The video you see is a typical moment 1-2 minutes after coming into a cool, quiet house after an afternoon out. God forbid Brady continue sleeping when he gets home. Brady doesn't like to sit still and can't stand the quiet. He is officially his father's son.
I hate to inform you that when Chad and Eric "coached" the 9 and under AAU team together...years ago....that not only did they act like they were coaching for a National Championship game, but the parents were exactly as you described.....and the other teams were always mean....and, at age 9 (maybe thats the same as 4th grade??). Either way, we're in for it! This is also exactly why I complain when Chad "criticizes" Payton when he misses a shot....hello, he's 3!! Chad gets mad at me when I praise him for "almost" making it. Then again, I'm the cheerleader, he's the triple sport athlete. Sorry for the rambling, just wanted to let you know that I have witnessed this same chaos from parents of young children and it worries me about placing my own boys in such environments! Keep this post handy when we're both sitting on bleachers, screaming at our kids, booing at the others and rushing the court is just a few years. You will have it worse than me....you're a Hoots!
ReplyDelete