Tuesday, August 7, 2012

A gold-medal sleeper who only performs while his parents are away

I've heard parents talk about how their kids are little angels when they are in the care of others but turn into devils at home.  I used to think that was a myth, or at least that it couldn't be true for someone only a year old...but then I had Brady.

Thankfully, this truism only holds true for Brady's sleeping habits.  Last weekend, Eric's parents kept Brady for the weekend and they told me that he slept until 7:45 one morning.  He's done that....never.  But flukes do happen.  And of course, he slept through the night both nights, which he was doing about half the time back home.

This past weekend, Brady headed back to Newton for three nights with his grandparents, while we lived it up in the Dominican Republic.  We got a few email updates and surprise, surprise, Brady had slept in until 7:40!  And slept through the night every night!  His earliest wake up call for the weekend was 6:45, still better than most mornings at home.  I may have chalked it up to the crib, or the room, but that theory was debunked since all of us stayed in Newton on Thursday night to before our Friday flight.  Brady was up bright and early at 6am to see us off!

So fast forward to last night, when he finally got to sleep in his own bed.  At 2am, I hear cries from Brady's room.  I give him a few minutes to calm himself and he settles down after a few minutes.  I sigh, fall back asleep myself, and wake up 30 minutes later to some very angry cries.  I relented and went in to get Brady.  He eventually went back to sleep but woke up with the roosters at 5:50!

And today, he did nothing to make up for the early morning.  He took two short naps, nothing like the three-hour one he supposedly took yesterday.  He's done that never (maybe once).

Should I be concerned that my in-laws are drugging my son?  Or should I just ask for their dealer?

I'm thankful Brady slept so well for his grandparents...but can't he share the love?

Enough about sleeping, I realize that listening as moms drone on about their child's sleeping pattern is about as exciting as counting sheep (and maybe more effective).

So we made it back from the Dominican Republic and back to reality!  Ah, how good it is to be away from reality for a few days. The trip was amazing and besides a brief visit from Tropical Storm Ernesto and a long traveling day home, nothing could have made the weekend better.  We went a great group of people and I'm so happy that Eric convinced me to go on the trip (ok, so I wasn't exactly drug kicking and screaming).

The all-inclusive resort we stayed at included a group photographer with the package.  I'm kidding, but thanks to Sean, who takes 10 times as many pictures as I do (and he doesn't even have a kid yet), it felt like it.  I didn't even have to take my camera out of the case.


Next up: Iowa.  Should be an equally exotic trip!

2 comments:

  1. Sorry about the non-sleeping baby :( Please don't let Brady give any tips to Baby Lewis, ha! Just kidding! On another note, I love that maxi dress you are wearing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hide from Brady when you visit Iowa this week! We'll take him to a REAL state fair!

    ReplyDelete