Monday, January 20, 2014

Letters to Jackson: 8 months

Jackson,

You are 8 months today and what a month it has been!  Let's start with the good; you're very happythese days, with a few exceptions.  Now that you can roam the world freely, you are loving life!  You are proving what they say about second children and you're picking up things much quicker than your brother.  You've perfected crawling and you're on to bigger things...like pulling up to standing!  You're a little less wiggly every day and pretty soon, you'll be off!


Your brother continues to be your best friend, and I'm happy to report, the reverse is also true.  My favorite times is when you guys are playing by yourself in the playroom and I'll hear uncontrollable giggles.  I'll peak in and you guys seem to be in your own little world, a place I'm happy to let you stay (especially if I'm cooking dinner!).

You seem to have a bit more of a sensitive system than your brother did, and its been an adjustment for us.  When I take you to the nursery at the gym, about half of the time the workers have had to come to get me because they can't calm your crying.  Of course, when I come in, you're fine.  That should make me feel good, but it doesn't!  I've discovered that if there is too many people around and you don't have me with you, you get overstimulated, start crying, and it's hard for you to get back to a happy place.  So...we adjust.  I've discovered that if I go to the gym during slow times, you're fine!  In what might have been the roughest week or your life (for all of us), you had about a week long stint of night terrors.  It was right around Christmastime the change in environment coupled with a fever led to some all-night scream fests.  Looking back, putting your crib in a pitch black closet over Christmas might not have been the best decision.  But it seemed like a great idea at the time!

 
This is all to say, we have learned to adjust to you and you've taught me some lessons about parenthood.  Having an "easy" kid can be convenient, but lets be honest, parenthood isn't convenient and it wasn't meant to be.  I love your spirit and its clear at an early age that you've got one!  I thought Brady used to put up a fight on the changing table, but he doesn't hold a candle to your squirminess!  If you don't like something (getting your nose wiped, being put in the car seat, being on your back at all) you will let. it. be. known.  And there is a second child for you...make your voice heard, or everyone will ignore you.



Jackson, I am so glad you love your brother, but I'm also glad that you are different. I hope you grow up knowing that you can be whatever sort of kid you want to be.  Balls may be thrown in your face, but you don't have to shoot them.  If you prefer singing to swinging, we're ok with that.  We'll expect you to be polite, but you don't have to talk with every stranger that comes along. I love you so much now and can't wait to see the little boy that you will become.


Love,
Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment