Yesterday afternoon, after a 5 hour flight from LA to RDU (much better than the 7 hour flight the other direction), we exited the plan and were welcomed home by high winds, spitting rain, and 45 degree temps. I knew I would miss California; I didn't know I would miss it so quickly.
We flew in to LA Monday night and got to the hotel at 5 am ET, 2 am local. And I couldn't sleep on the plane, which normally would have annoyed me, but with no kids in tow, I knew I could make up sleep any time I wanted to. That, my friends, is a beautiful thing. I was a bit concerned when, upon arrival, I read the message left on our nightstand by hotel services.
We flew in to LA Monday night and got to the hotel at 5 am ET, 2 am local. And I couldn't sleep on the plane, which normally would have annoyed me, but with no kids in tow, I knew I could make up sleep any time I wanted to. That, my friends, is a beautiful thing. I was a bit concerned when, upon arrival, I read the message left on our nightstand by hotel services.
I don't think the Wisconsin team got that message while staying at the Ritz Carlton. But I was happy to stay anywhere, and we stayed on the quiet side of the hotel where the traffic/police sirens did not interrupt my sleep. I should note that USC's campus was nice, but the same can't be said about surrounding neighborhoods.
Overall, the trip was wonderful. Walking through USC's beautiful utopian campus, I wished I was back in college. One morning, I grabbed a coffee, my book, and sat in front of a fountain reading... so I got as close as I could.

The first day in California, we boarded on the team bus and visited Santa Monica Beach for a couple of hours. Eric got in the ocean, while I enjoyed dry land.
Eric had to work much of the next day, but I got to spend the day in Malibu, which was my favorite experience. We had a nice brunch on the pier, got to go to Courtney Cox's (amazing) house on the beach (she was not present), and took a beautiful long hike (which had me sore days later).
My favorite story from the trip is a conversation between Eric and a housekeeper. Eric was chatting the guy up and after their conversation, the guy (who was Hispanic), pointed at Eric and asked, "British or Australian?" like he had just nailed it.
Very crazy that this happened this morning. This is the train I used a few times while in LA, including a trip in to the Staples Center. The crash happened a block or two from our hotel. If we would have played, I supposed I would have had to find an alternate route.
Like many games we lose, it was a great one to watch... until the end. I was sad to go home early, but it was a great season, and of course, its always great to go home to be reunited with the boys. I don't know how they grow up in 5 days, but they seem older.
On to life after basketball...




No comments:
Post a Comment