Here's an update from the Hoots household.
What we're watching
Peppa Pig: Its the only show my kids ask to watch. Its a family of pigs, who happen to live in England. So British speaking pigs dominate our TV. Its quite funny to hear the language spillover into our daily life. Eric was traveling last week and FaceTimed us. Brady asked, "Daddy, why did you ring us?". Our friend, Preston, was visiting last week and Brady said, "You cheeky guy" at breakfast one morning. Brady is in charge of getting our daily mail, or "post" if we're speaking Peppa. I feel like its upping my children's IQ, because everyone knows British people are smarter than regular humans. At least they sound like it.
What we're singing
At bedtime, Jackson will interrupt me if I am not singing the correct song. Generally, only one of two songs are acceptable and he'll let me know which one he wants: "Row, row," which is on repeat in my head, or "Bye-Oh" which is a nonsense song my mom used to sing to me. I googled the lyrics one time to see what the heck they meant, but they don't exist, at least on the Internet. Any help Mom?
What we're eating
For Jackson, anything he can get his hands on. I've banned Brady from asking things like "can we have a marshmallow after dinner?" Because all Jackson hears is "marshmallow" and then he yells "Mallow! Mallow!" for the rest of the meal. We're not big on veggies, but my boys love spinach (if it has some dressing). Jackson actually asked for more tonight during dinner. Jackson usually likes other people's food better than his own. Example: I gave him a hot turkey and cheese sandwich on a roll the other day and he wouldn't touch it. When I got my own out of the oven and ate it, he sat on my lap and wanted to share it.
What we're wearing
Similar to Jackson's eating, for Brady, whatever he can get his hands on. Whatever it is, it needs to be tucked in. High and tight. His Halloween firefighter jacket was tucked in, so he's been consistent with this trend. Eric has been relentless in his pursuit to convince Brady it doesn't need to be tucked in, but I think he's finally coming to grips with the fact that Brady will not be convinced. High socks are still a favorite, but I think Brady is open to a lower option in the right circumstance. Despite the warmer temps, layering is still popular. Two pairs of shorts are better than one. Color coordinating is a requirement, and what color he is wearing generally correlates to what team Brady is playing for during that particular day. Or particular hour, since outfit changes occur at all times of day.
Jackson is following his brother's lead and has become quite headstrong when it comes to dressing. We tried to put a Popeye shirt on him the other day and he yelled, "Owl! Owl!" until we fished his owl shirt out of the drawer. He refuses to wear one-piece PJ's, so we've transitioned to two piece sets, just in time for summer.
What we're reading
Back to Jackson's eating.... his reading is similar. From an early age, he would find a book, find you, then shove the book in your face and say, "Read! Read!" Then, when you finish, "Read! Read!" again. I've finally hidden the Christmas carol book that seemed to keep popping up in our nighttime reading rituals. "Potty Train" is a new library book that both boys like, mostly because of the page that goes, "Chugga-chugga, poo-poooo!"
What we're saying
Jackson vocabulary is exploding, with the assistance of his brother. Today, Jackson said, "No way, José." It should also be noted that the context of this declaration was when I was trying to get Jackson to hold my hand as we were in a parking lot. "Self, self!" That's another popular word.
What we're asking
About bad guys. Brady left his scooter outside last night and this morning, Eric talked to him about how he needed to make sure he didn't leave his scooter out. Now if it was me, I would have just said he needed to keep the scooter in the garage because that is where it goes. But Eric took a different route. So the convo went something like this.
Eric: "You need to put your scooter away or someone might take it."
Brady: "Like who?"
Eric (already seeing his mistake): "<Indecipherable muttering>"
Brady: "Like Micah?"
Mom: "No, like someone who might take it and not give it back."
Brady: "Like who?"
Mom: "Please just make sure you put your scooter in the garage."
This has led to many conversations about bad guys today. Brady came down from his bed tonight saying he was scared because bad guys might get him. We told them there are no bad guys that can come to our house (but apparently they can come right outside our front door.... thank you, Eric.) Follow up questions included: "But are there bad guys in Chapel Hill?" "Where do they live?" "Do they live in a cave?" Who are they?"
Bad guys be warned, if you come to our house, you will not be met with firearms, but with a 3-year-old firing questions.
Bye-O, my baby baby bye.
ReplyDeleteBye-O, my baby baby bye.
Mr. Ship went on a trip, he wanted to reach New York.
He went so flippety, flippety, flop--never to reach New York,
Repeat Bye-O
I love you, yes I do, you're my little girl.
I love you so, Amy Marie, and I always will.
The first four lines my mom sang to all of us, and her mom sang to her.
Then you can make up the rest of the lines, and mine shows above. I think it's a nice rhythm and the kids I sing it to like it. Doesn't it make you miss your MaMa?
Ha! And I always thought my Hoots grand sons would have southern accents.
ReplyDeleteJust tell Brady that the Dookies will take is stuff, etc.
I now know who you get your wit from, Amy. ;)
ReplyDelete