Saturday, September 19, 2015

Newborns vs. toddlers

Here I am, the same place I was last Saturday afternoon, sitting here on the sofa watching football.  One notable difference...I am not in labor!  I am not pregnant! Avery is alive!  I can't tell you how happy I am with those differences right now.



Its been a wonderful week.  You know what newborns do a lot of?  Sleep.  The boys have spent the last 36 hours with their grandparents and it has been so peaceful around here.  I enjoy the chaos (sometimes), but there is also a strong correlation between a relaxed mom and a quiet house.  Know what you can get done with a newborn around?  Everything.  Know what you can get done with a 2 and 4-year-old boy?  About 10% of that... and then they'll add 12 things to your list.

Here just a few of the many ways in which newborns are easier than toddlers:

1) Avery sleeps more.  Ok this one is obvious, as are its advantages. 


2) Avery doesn't ask questions.  Not even one.  I can put on shoes and not be asked why I chose those shoes.  I change my clothes and not be asked why I still have a big tummy.  I can go to the bathroom and not be asked if I am wearing a diaper.  I can go 10 minutes without hearing what, when, where, why, who??

3) Avery can't eat my food: I found myself eating a cookie while holding Avery today.  My first instinct was to hide the cookie so she didn't see, and then I realized that unlike her brothers, Avery doesn't have super senses when I take a bite of a cookie or rustle a bag of chips.  She won't drill me about what I am eating and can't she have some butpleasejustone and whynotbuti'mreallyhungry.

4) Avery doesn't make a mess: A newborn's mess is restricted to very small area.  If they spit up, you might be talking a foot-long radius.  Hopefully, the poops stay in their diapers.

5) I read/relax while Avery eats: This is a stark contrast to when the boys eat.  I am taking orders, filling cups, wiping spills, encouraging progress, rolling out napkins, picking up dropped forks.  Basically, doing everything except reading/relaxing.

6) Avery can't do anything herself:  Here's a tricky one that would seem to go in favor of toddlers, but I would have to strongly disagree.  Things happen very quickly for this very reason. She doesn't want to strap herself into her seat.  She doesn't want to peel her own bananas.  She doesn't want to use the sharp scissors.  She doesn't want to blow bubbles by herself.  The list goes on forever.

7) Avery doesn't care what she wear: (Nor does she want to put it on herself... see above).  This means that getting dressed is so very easy.  In contrast, I have to mentally prep for mornings and bedtime when clothing changes are required. 

Ok, the boys are 10 minutes away from home, so I'm going to soak up the final minutes of Avery alone.  Even though they are not the easiest creatures on the planet, I love my boys and would miss out on wonderful moments like the ones below if it was only Avery all the time.






No comments:

Post a Comment