We have finally kicked off our first summer vacation! We drove to Eric's parents last night and spent the night...well, technically we just spent 6 hours there. Avery went to bed around 10 after sleeping most of the car ride. She woke up at 11:30, then again at 2, conveniently, so I could feed her one last time and grab 45 extra minutes of sleep before waking up and heading to the Charlotte airport. Apparently, Avery woke up at 5:11, ready to go for the day.
You're welcome, Grandma!
Eric's mom may need to be nominated for sainthood before our trip is over. Where are we going, you ask? To California! Our original plan was to leave Thursday evening, fly into LA, and make the hour drive to Ojai, where Eric's friend is getting married. We are staying at a beautiful house and I was (am) so looking forward to a laid back vacation. But of course, I'm married to Eric, who will never pass up an opportunity to do and see as much as possible. And since Game 5 for the NBA playoffs is being played in Oakland tonight, obviously we have to go. But first we will drive from San Francisco (where we are now flying into) to Palo Alto to see Jerod, our friend who just got the head men's basketball coaching job at Stanford. Then we will drive to Oakland for the game. Then we will drive to Santa Cruz to spend the night with my cousin. Then we will drive to Ojai tomorrow. Then my vacation will begin.
Things Eric is not worried about: change fee to fly to San Francisco; getting up at 3am and essentially guaranteeing we will be up for 24 hours straight when taking into effect the time change; not having a house or hotel room to use to change/freshen up/shower/rest/pump; me having to pump extra milk to last Avery through an additional day (I was a pumping machine last week); me having to pump in very random locations throughout the day (no layover in Dallas may mean I'll be pumping in the plane bathroom), me having to figure out how to keep said milk cold in my handy cooler I'm carrying throughout the day. I'm envisioning us rolling up to the guy at McDonalds and saying, "Excise me sir, can I have a quarter ponder and some ice to keep my breast milk cold? No, I don't need to super size that."
Ok, I'll put my violin away. Because you no what? Someone else is responsible for my kids. Have you ever been really sick and when you finally get better, you are so happy and thankful to feel good and you wonder why you don't appreciate your health every moment of your life? It's sort of like that when you're used to traveling to with kids. You know what is super easy? Traveling without kids. Long security line? I can wait! Crowded plane? I have my own seat! Need to go to the bathroom? I get to go by myself!
Ok, it's 7am, my flight lands in an hour and I have some really important things to get done. Like sip my coffee and read my book.
No comments:
Post a Comment