Thursday, May 21, 2020

Letters to Brady: 9 years old

Dear Brady,

Happy Birthday!  You're halfway to being an adult!  In many ways, it does seem like you're at a middle ground.  Adulthood certainly seems far away, but so does you as a baby.  You show moments of great maturity and many other moments of....not maturity (yes, lets call it immaturity).

You've taken life during a pandemic in stride and highlighted that you don't need much to be happy. You told me bedtime was the worst because you just want to get sleeping out of the way.  You go to bed each night devouring Big Nate books and you wake up each morning ready to down three scrambled eggs, five sausage links, a waffle, and a two bowls of cereal.  Of course, you need that fuel to sustain yourself for the long day ahead, because you probably won't have time to schedule in a snack. While many are home bored, wondering how they will pass the hours in the day, you are wishing there were more.  After all, there is so much to do!!  One hour I may find you playing capture the flag with neighbors, the next one, you'll be by yourself organizing baseball cards, the next you'll be making a fort in the woods, and the next you'll be scavenging the house for cardboard boxes for some art project you've dreamt up.  You've stolen most of my yellow paint so that you could paint sticks to double as goal posts. Lately, you've decided to transform the upstairs playroom into the "Carolina Room."  Jerseys are hanging, balls are displayed, furniture is rearranged.  You will be a great manager one day as you have an impressive ability to motivate those around you into action.  You have no problem delegating tasks and since its your birthday, that's about the nicest way I can put it.

I love how you immerse yourself into a project.  I don't suspect "lack of passion" will be on any report cards or job evaluations in your future.  You love creating new things and you are by far the best sketch artist in our house.  You love playing with your brother and with friends, and you always want to know what is next.  You are fidgety and a bit fidgety, something I've learned as your "teacher" during this Homeschooling period, but give you a project you're excited about and you will be hyper-focused.

I continue to be amazed by how much you and your brother get along, particularly during these pandemic times.  You both are better off because of the other, and it warms my heart to watch Jackson watch you.  And those moments when you want to include your sister in your grand plans?  Well, those times are just the best.

I  love you very much, even when I'm homeschool you.  And that's saying something!

Love,
Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment