You've been counting down the days until your birthday for a while now, and seeing you wake up with a grin on your face is how I'd love to start every day. Your grin has changed over the course of a few months as you've lost your front two teeth. More specifically, you pulled out your front two teeth, one which was questionably ready, but YOU decided it was ready, which is a good reflection on your personality. Forcing you into anything never works very well for us, as you have a pretty good mind about what you’d like to do and when you’d like to do them!
You are a gentle soul and have such a kind spirit. You are sensitive and tender, and you have taught me that compassion and calmness always trumps anger and frustration. I could fill page after page describing your small daily acts of kindness. They come naturally to you and my great hope is that your older brother will learn the joys of giving, not just the benefits of receiving. Yes, younger brothers can teach, too. If you see I'm busy in the kitchen, you'll get whatever it is you need, even if it requires finding a stool to climb up on the counter, and even if asking me would be much easier. You'll humor your sister when she wants to put makeup on you. You'll bask in your brother's glory when he's won a big game and share in his excitement as he gives you the play-by-play. You’re generous with your hugs and your smiles.
I've been thankful for you since the day you were born, but maybe no more thankful for you than I have these past few months. You’ve taken the changes of life during a pandemic in stride and seem perfectly happy with the calmer pace of life. You’re quick to see the upsides in any situation and the good in people.
As I tucked you in tonight, you told me, “I just wish you knew how much I want to say thanks and how much I love you. This was just the best day.” It rained all day, you had to do “homeschool,” and you had no party. But that’s not what you’ll remember. You remember your “gear bike” and what a great surprise that was. You’ll remember dad bringing you to the baseball cages and meeting Coach Fox and some players. You’ll remember having the attention on you for one whole day. You’ll remember the birthday messages people sent you. And I’ll remember a grateful boy who makes me proud to be his mom each day. I love you, Jackson.
Love,
Mom




No comments:
Post a Comment