Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Letters to Brady: 6 months

Dear Brady,

Happy half-year birthday!  Actually, it was yesterday, but mom was sick and it took all I had just to get up to change you...a photo shoot and blogging session were not on the agenda.  I spent Sunday night hugging the toilet, and yesterday was spent in the bed.  I didn't have my best parenting day, as I left the bed only to change your diaper and put you in the Jumparoo.  Like always, you made it as easy as possible on me and were your typical low-maintenance self.  While you were playing in the bed, I gave you the rubber bulb syringe to play with (ok, I realize syringe, babies and play shouldn't typically be used in the same sentance) and I watched as you examined it for nearly 15 minutes.  Although you hate it when its used for its intended purpose (extracting snot from your nose), you were so very fascinated by it.  Of course, like most things, you put every part of it in your mouth.  On a day that I could do little more than simply lie there, it gave me a chance to really watch you.  It is fun to see you discover all the fun and exciting things the world has to offer...like snot suckers.

Your dad is good to us, or certainly tries to be.  When I was sick on Sunday night, he ran to the store and bought some Pepto Bismol for me.  After he got home, we read the label and it said when breastfeeding, consult a physician.  So I consulted the Internet and turns out Pepto isn't so good.  Last night, you weren't feeling so good last yourself and you were running a fever.  You had your 6 month shots yesterday, so dad ran out to get some fever reducer medicine at about 11:30.  When he got home and took it out of the package, we realized under dosage, it said, "consult a physician."  Of course, you haven't been sick before so this is new territory.  Sorry Brady, rookie parents.

When your dad and I look at your, we often shake our heads.  It's hard to grasp that we made something as cool as you.  You are just such a happy baby and the days of your tummy troubles and screaming seem like a lifetime ago.  I am convinced that if all the world's leaders could sit down around a table and listen to a baby's laughter, they could figure out a way to solve the world's conflicts.  There is nothing as pure as your laughter and nothing makes me happier than hearing it. 

Nobody can make you laugh like your dad can.  He is loud, obnoxious, and rough...qualities that you love.  The other day your dad came home from work and he hollered to you as soon as he came in the door.  I watched your eyes light up, and it was special moment to see you not only recognize, but get excited at the sound of your dad.  The only thing you might adore more than your daddy is your thumb.  You suck that thing with a vigor that is truly impressive.  It is so very adorable and while we may pay for this habit down the line (literally, with orthodontic bills), for now I am glad you found something to soothe yourself.

This week you will celebrate your first Thanksgiving and I can't think of another year when I had so much to be thankful for.  Thank you for bringing such joy to our lives.

We love you.

Love,
Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment