Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Full frames and a guilty conscience

Ok, I have a moral dilemma but I must first give you the background story.

For many weeks now, I've been meaning to get pictures printed for a few frames and a photo album.  I hung up a frame I bought in our bathroom about 2 months ago.  Which means it has been pictureless for about 2 months.  Shameful, I know.  So yesterday, I spent Brady's nap putting a bunch of pictures in my shopping cart.  I went through all the steps and even put in my credit card number so when I picked the pictures up from Walgreens, I wouldn't have to pay in the store.  I show up at Walgreens a few hours later and much to my disappointment, they didn't have my order.  I realized I didn't get a confirmation email, which probably means I was one step short in confirming my order.

I got back to my house, opened my computer, and realized I had closed out my browser.  I went back on the site and of course, empty cart.  So last night, I went through the process once again.  We're talking over 100 pictures that I got printed, and I won't go into details about why it took more time than simply clicking on the pictures I wanted printed, but just take my word for it...it took some time.  I knew today I would be driving past a different Walgreens, so I imputed a different store as my pick up location.

Or so I thought.

I walked into Walgreens #2 today and yet again, no pictures.  With the help of the man behind the counter, I figured out that the pictures were at a different location...in my haste, I clicked the wrong Walgreens.  Tricky because its on the same street, but not very close/convenient.  So I drug Brady out of the Walgreens #2 and on to Walgreens #3. (On a positive note, if you need to know where a Walgreens is, give me a call).

Third time was a charm!  My pictures were there and the guy handed them to me and suggested I look through them to make sure they were the right ones.  As he walked away, I opened the package, confirmed that I wasn't walking out with someone else's pictures, and gave the guy a wave and said "thank you" as I exited the store.

So I loaded Brady up in the car, dropped all the pictures in the parking lot (note to self: close envelope), and was just glad to finally have my pictures in hand.  So what was the problem?

I got home and realized the pictures were not paid for.  I had tried to pay for the first set of pictures online, but with my second order, I chose the "pay in store" option.  These pictures were $20, so it is a decent amount of money to be "stealing."  However, I don't feel like it is exactly my fault, as the guy made no moves to charge me for these pictures.  Who has the burden in this situation?  If I had walked out holding $20 worth of merchandise, I would certainly feel obligated to go back and pay.  But I guess I was still essentially doing that?  Did I mention this is not a convenient location that I will be breezing past any time soon.

Ok, Internet, please be my moral compass.  What do I do?

1 comment:

  1. Hmmmmm. I'm pretty sure I would call the store, explain what happened, tell them I won't be back by the store any time soon, and ask them if they can take my credit card number over the phone to pay for them. I bet they're set up to do that in this day and age. And if the young kid that's working that day doesn't feel like dealing with it, there's a good chance he or she will just tell you not to worry about it! Then you can let the guilt go! Win-win!

    ReplyDelete