Monday, November 5, 2012

State of affairs in the Hoots house

I'm almost through my first trimester and overall, this baby hasn't caused too much havoc, although he's sapped any remaining energy that Brady hasn't stolen.  My energy is finally returning and I don't feel like I need to go to bed at 8:30 every night.  With my first pregnancy, I remembering being so tired and wondering how I'd do it the second time around with a child to chase around.  In reality, its been easier because when I was pregnant Brady, I didn't have the luxury of the beautiful invention called naps.  Recently, I've felt like I am back in newborn mode when Brady and I took naps together.  My productivity in other places has decreased, but if you can't keep your eyes open, its hard to be productive at anything.

I've had some bouts of nausea and food aversion but they've been infrequent and tolerable.  I didn't have any of that with Brady, so of course, Eric is convinced we're having a girl.  I am only convinced we're having a baby.  We won't find out until May, so there will be lots of time to ponder.

I had an appointment last week and my midwife was reassuring me that delivery was easier the second time around.  She compared it to making pancakes: making first one is difficult, but once the pan gets hot, the second one is much easier.  Of course, the second pancake isn't any better than the first pancake and you love both pancakes equally, but the process of getting the second pancakes is quicker and smoother. Since I had just made pancakes a few days prior (and really struggled with that first pancake) I appreciated this analogy and hope it holds true.

I have to say, I'm already experiencing a tinge of 2nd child guilt.  With Brady, I could have told you if Brady was a blueberry, a bean, or a lemon during any given week and what sort of cool things he was doing as a fetus.  I have no idea what fruit or vegetable this baby can be compared to, only that he definitely is in there and judging by my protruding midsection, growing in the right direction.

As far as our day-to-day life, we are settling in to the routines of basketball season.  With Eric gone a lot, Brady and I are not short quality time together.  Eric gets home around 7:45 each night, just in time to play for a few minutes and get Brady ready for bed.  The days are long, especially when weekends don't look all that different from weekdays, but I'm thankful that Eric doesn't have to keep up the schedule 12 months a year.

If you'd like to read about our brief weekend trip, click here and scroll to page 11.  And as a bonus, you can see Eric's picture on the first page.  I'm not bitter that he's on page 1 and I'm in the double digits.

Tomorrow is voting day.  Since we're in a safe place here, I'll admit with embarrassment that I am 30 years old and will be voting for the first time.  What is the best time to go to the polls?  I'll be toting a toddler who's a bit on the active side, so I'm really depending on short lines to perform my civic duty.  Is it to late for early voting?

No comments:

Post a Comment