Friday, November 14, 2014

Doctors, hoedowns, and meltdowns

Despite my lack of posting, there is no lack of excitement in our household lately.  I was at the doctor today for Jackson's 18 month checkup, and during our longer than usual wait, the boys had to find alternative methods to occupy themselves. See below.


Actually, its not that alternative, they shut each other in the cabinets at home frequently.  When the doctor came in, she handed each kid a foot long, hard stick -- an old-school toy with hundreds of tiny shapes and water inside.  I have memories of having one growing up.  I would turn them one way, then the others and watch intently as the little hearts and stars could swim back and forth.  This is not what my children did with them.  My kids could care less what was on the inside, they immediately started banging the hard sticks on every hard surface.  Then they used them as baseball bats and used a small disposable cup as the ball.  Then they ran the bases and ended with "sliding into home plate." Quite the sight watching Jackson, donning only a diaper and socks, diving headfirst on the doctor's office floor.  I'm pretty sure my doctor will not bring those weapons in with her next time the Hoots boys come to visit.

"You must sleep well at night," was the remark from the doctor.  Ha!  I know what she meant by this, but ha!

I won't touch that subject except to say that I could certainly be sleeping better.

Though Jackson has work to do on honing his sleeping skills, his dancing skills are spot on, although he basically has only one move.  He plants his left foot, then uses the right to spin himself in a circle.  I think if "Cotton Eye Joe" was playing, he would fit right in.

 
As for Brady, he's his usually quirky self.  Notice the sock selection in each of these videos.

 
As you can see, Brady is having a meltdown over broccoli.  He was eating dinner and I told him that if he wanted a treat after the meal, he needed to eat his broccoli.  He replied with his token statement, "No thanks, I'll have a treat next time." I gave him one last chance before popping the broccoli in my own mouth.  Then Brady saw dad eating a cookie and shockingly, he had a change of heart.  Often, I'll leave his veggies out for just such change, but this time, there was no broccoli left and I felt like Brady needed to learn a lesson, albeit a painful one for him. 
 
Note: While we are clearly unsympathetic towards him in the video, let it be known that this tantrum had been going on for quite some time and I already talked to him (several times) about his choice to pass up broccoli and I suggested he make a different decision next time.  That remains to be seen.
 
Eat your greens, kids! 

No comments:

Post a Comment