Thursday, May 21, 2015

Letters to Brady: 4 years old

Dear Brady,

Four years ago, you made me a mom.  Its hard to remember life before you.  I remember doing things like making bread from scratch.  Now, the family is lucky if I remember to throw frozen bread in the oven to serve with dinner.  Before, your dad and I would go on a last minute beach trip and throw some clothes into a bag.  Now, we spend more time packing for a beach trip than we spend at the actual beach.  Before, there was going to work each day.  Now, there is working to play each day.  Before, quiet.  Now, noise.  Before, leisure.  Now, fun!

I don't know if there has ever been a year of my life when I have laughed as much as I have with you (and sometimes, at you).  I don't know if there has ever been a year where I've answered as many questions.  There is definitely never been a year that I've heard the Tar Heel fight song sung as many times.  Some days, I just want silence.  But when I get silence, I just want you (ok, maybe there is about an hour or two span until this actually kicks in).

You are sweet and quirky, charming and smart.  You love being around people and always want to know what's next on the agenda (your father's son, for sure).  But you're a contented child, and easy to please.  Since you were born, you've always been easy and adaptable.  Four years later, you are still that same kid who will go with the flow.



While its hard to narrow it down, watching the relationship between you and Jackson develop has been a highlight of the year.  You are kind and patient and Jackson hit the jackpot when he got you for a big brother.   I watch him watch you and it warms my heart to see how he tries to do everything that you do.  Except when he tries to replicate some of your more "physical" tricks, like jumping off of couches, beds, ledges, and swings.  You usually make him laugh, but when you make him cry, you're quick to try to right the wrong.


At lot of things surrounding motherhood are out of my control.  Kids come in all shapes, sizes, and personalities and you don't get to pick your child. But if you gave me a choice of a million different little boys I'd pick you, every time.

Happy birthday buddy.  The fours await you and you leave me no doubt that you will seize each of your four-year-old days.

I love you.

Love,
Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment