On Sunday night, Eric was gone for the first of many nights away. Late Night with Roy is on Friday night and Eric is in charge, which means every night this week he has to go to Late Night practice, in addition to the normal basketball practices. So yesterday evening when I got a plugged duct from breastfeeding, I was praying that it didn't turn into mastitis. Not that there is a great time to get sick... but this seemed particularly poor timing. Just before bedtime, I started getting the chills and the start of a fever, so I knew what was in store for me. Mastitis is not new to me and I've gotten a dose of it with both boys .
Here are three text conversations with friends from last night.
Erin just had her second baby and her first is only 18 months... so she's always good to commiserate with.
Then you have the friends who are doctors (or have spouses who are), who can call in prescriptions. Last time I had mastitis, my doctor's office wanted me to come in (even though I knew exactly what I had) and I actually remember the moment of being on the phone with them because I had a 103 degree temp and the thought of loading myself, a baby, and a toddler into the car to go to the doctor's office seemed so far out of the realm of possibilities.
Then you have your wonderful friends/neighbors who are eager to help. I texted Leslie when I thought I might be getting sick, because I didn't know how I would survive today, and she told me she would pencil me in for the morning.
My saving grace was Eric's parents, who cut into their beach trip to make a stop in Chapel Hill to rescue me. The day would've been rough(er) without them. But 24 hours later I feel like a new woman! If only I could nap this much on a normal day.
But back to last night. I had just gotten Avery to sleep and I was putting the boys to bed, earlier than they normally would have gone, but I could feel myself heading downhill. Some nights, if Eric is gone or still downstairs watching TV, and Brady is still awake by the time I go to bed, I'll let him sleep with me until Eric comes and moves him. So last night when Brady discovered I was going right to bed, he came and asked if he could sleep with me. Then his little brother walked in behind him. I took them back to their bed and whispered to Brady that he could come, but only after Jackson had fallen asleep. A few minutes later, I heard Brady ask Jackson if he was sleeping, which he was not. A few minutes later, the same question. After about 15 minutes, Brady walked into my room.... with his brother trailing close behind him. Brady looked at him and said, "Jackson, you told me that you were asleep!"
So we had a big party in my bed. The night was rough.... Eric didn't get home until midnight and with the week he was going to have, I didn't want to wake him up throughout the night. I lasted until 5 am but then I needed to hand Avery off. Avery wasn't completely cooperative and I found myself pleading with her would she just go to sleep. Honestly, knowing Eric's parents were coming the next day helped me get through the night. Brady found his way back to our bed in the middle of the night but I didn't have enough energy to take him back to bed. So at 7 am, I woke up in puddle of pee, thanks to Brady's bladder. Then we heard Jackson holler from his room, "Mommy, I pee-peed in my bed!" It would've been considerate that if they were both going to wet the bed the same night, it would be the same bed at least.Just another Monday morning in the Hoots house!



No comments:
Post a Comment