Its safe to say in the last month, Avery has not slept for longer than 3 hours at a time. If I am exaggerating, its only by 30 minutes or so. Girlfriend is almost 7 months old and I'm rejoicing when she sleeps three hours in a row. I have no idea what is to blame. Traveling? Teeth? Demons? Last night, Avery woke up three times before midnight. It was that kind of a night. When she woke up the third time, I took her to the guest bed (since two little boys had invaded mine) and slept with her. I couldn't tell you how much she woke up after that, but it wasn't good.
I was convinced she had an ear infection, because the alternative is pretty horrible (translation: its just her). However, last time I took her in to the doctor before our Houston trip, she was clear -- well not totally clear, she had fluid in her ears which might have been bothering her. She was already on day 8 of amoxicillin from her last infection. But the doctor wrote me a prescription in case she got worse since we would be traveling. So I have the dilemma this morning of disrupting the day and dragging all the kids to the doctor while shelling out the $40 co-pay to confirm on deny infection, or do nothing. So I picked option C, phoned a doctor/neighbor with an otoscope and asked if he'd be willing to take a look in Avery's ears. He would, but couldn't do it until 6 at which point I knew I wouldn't want to drag everyone out to the pharmacy (and is it even open?). Did I mention Eric is out of town for the third night it a row (two nights work, one night pleasure). And did you know that if you go to the Masters for three straight years, you no longer get to call it a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity? Tell Eric that.
So I got the drugs early in the day and was willing to eat the cost if Avery's ears were clear. Which they were. Shouldn't I be happier? Instead I am just depressed that I have a perfectly healthy baby. How far have I fallen that if you told me Avery would wake up every three hours, I would not even be mad about it.
But the upside, I'm sitting here on my bed with a view of the tub where my two filthy boys are bathing happily. I should probably go refill the tub with warm water, but they're happy, and I don't mess with a good thing. Avery went down at 6:30 tonight, which is marvelous, and scary, all at the same time. The boys are hilarious, and short of me yelling in every few minutes to keep the water in the tub, I know how lucky I am to have brothers who love each other so. Avery was too tired to partake in tubby time tonight, but the last two nights she has been in heaven splashing with her brothers. And so has her mom, since I've gotten to shower while my three children bathe. I love the sitting up, not-yet-crawling stage.
And tomorrow, Jackson's first organized practice: soccer here we come. And Brady is on the team with him! No shock, Jackson in most fired up about the new jersey he will get to wear.
Edited to add: Five minutes after posting, Avery woke for the first time. It was 7:15. After I put the boys down, Avery woke up again. It was 8:15. It is 9:30. God help me.

No comments:
Post a Comment