If you didn't watch the final game, you surely have seen the highlights. If you haven't seen either, you're probably not reading this blog. Heartbreaking doesn't seem to quite encapsulate what that game became. I really wanted the win for so many reasons; for my husband, for myself, for the fans, but mostly for the players who made this season so amazing. For Brice, who scooped the boys in his arms every chance he got, for Joel, who has always been fascinated by my babies and what they can (or cannot) do, for Kennedy, who early in the season got such a kick out of Jackson knowing and saying his full name, for Marcus, who showed up at our house with his girlfriend when she was scheduled to babysit, for Theo, who laughed this morning at breakfast watching Avery's wobbly self sit on the floor by herself. That was this morning, less than 12 hours after experiencing the most crushing loss of his career. I wanted to win for all the players who went out of their way to make my boys feel like they were a part of the team. The boys have never felt particularly special to have such access, because to them it's just life. And that's how I like it. The players are not untouchable, they're just friends, and if they cease to be kind or accepting, my boys will move along. They don't love the Tar Heels for what they do on the court, but off it.
There is a lot to remember about this trip, but I'll certainly take with me an appreciation for the community that is built around Carolina basketball. Traveling with three small children was no small feat, but I survived with the help of many around me.
It's hard to think about what might have been, because it's so easy to envision what might have been. To be so close simply hurts. But whenever life dolls out a rough moment, I always cling to my family and realize how lucky I am. And I'm even luckier because I get to be a part of the Carolina family, win, lose or draw.











Beautifully written- heart breaking loss. Proud of the players, coaches, staff and fans for giving it their all there. xo
ReplyDeleteLove this, Amy. Your feelings are real. We all feel like that this week. Your family is precious and so fun to watch. Give Eric a hug for me!
ReplyDeleteSusan Bowman (Bowman's mom)