Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Letters to Avery: One year

For Avery's birthday, we have a guest columnist, Avery's daddy, writing her a final letter of her first year. 

Dear Avery,

Happy 1st birthday baby girl! I feel like this is such a big milestone for you and an even bigger accomplishment for your mother and me.  This past year hasn’t been the easiest or most restful because of you and your two older brothers, but it has been pretty incredible.
 
 
I am not sure what your mom deserves for all that she has done for you and the rest of our family, but I am pretty sure its more than any of us could offer.  That includes giving her time away from us because it would be nearly impossible for us to function!  Your mom makes our family go and I am not sure where any of us would be without her.  She has sacrificed eating, sleeping, her own personal hygiene, reading, and relaxing to take care of all 3 of you kids.  I know we are all thankful for what she does, so it may be a good idea when you read this in 18 years to give her something special for all of her efforts.

I can’t tell you how awesome and different it is to have you as a part of our family.  It was a total surprise to both your mom and I that we would have a little girl one year ago.  I don’t know why, but I knew the entire pregnancy you were a girl but I had no idea what to expect.  You have exceeded all of my expectations and I am sure that will continue throughout your lifetime.
 
You are a feisty little girl and I absolutely love that.  You know exactly what you want and make it abundantly clear until you get it.  You aren’t scared and don’t back down from your brothers.  You want to be in the action and you don’t want to miss out on anything.  My favorite reaction from you is when your feelings get hurt and you stick out your bottom lip and start to cry.  It is hard for me not to laugh because it is such a cute face you make.

I know that your independence (stubbornness) is going to serve you very well later in life.  It makes me laugh when I see you throw something your mom is trying to give you, or turn away when you are mad and she is trying to pick you up.  The reason I laugh is because I see your mom in you.  You both are very strong willed people so I may have to be a referee a few years down the road. 

I am so happy and grateful to have you as our daughter.  I love you so much and I will always be there for you when you need something.  You are also a lucky girl to have 2 older brothers that think the world of you and will assist me in keeping an eye on you.

 
I can’t imagine our lives without you AK!  You are the best and you have completed the Hoots family of 5!  Happy Birthday.
 

 Love,

 Dad

No comments:

Post a Comment