Friday, September 2, 2016

Locking down kindergarten...and locking up my children

Happy Friday! We are driving to the lake fighting Labor Day traffic, which means I actually have time to blog!  Today was a big day, Brady’s first official day.  He hopped on the bus at 7:15 like he’d been doing it his whole life and hopped off 7 hours later after a great day at kindergarten.  The first thing he said was, “When are we going to the lake?  Because my friend Jackson is coming over here.”

Apparently in the ten minutes he spent on the bus, he made plans with his new third-grade friend (who lives in our neighborhood) to come over.  That’s Brady in a nutshell.

The good news about early risers?  The whole family can bid Brady goodbye!

 

 

Jackson, Avery, and I had our own excitement.  We went to the gym this morning and as we were leaving, the rain started up.  Avery was crying as I tried to put her in her carseat and she grabbed my keys.  Happy that she was calm, I let her hold them while I went around to buckle Jackson in his seat.  And I shut her door so she wouldn’t get wet.  I buckled Jackson in, shut his door, and heard the click of the doors as they locked.  At just the right moment, Avery pushed the lock button…and of course it was too much to hope for that she would click the unlock button.  

I called Eric who was golfing working to see where our spare set was.  By coincidence, my neighbor friend, Hayley, left the gym at the same time as me so I called her to ask her to go our house to grab the spare keys (an example of a time I’m thankful to have garage codes).  I wasn’t terribly worried, as we only live about 5 minutes away and it was very cool out, but not a great situation nonetheless.   

So I’m talking to Jackson through the window to try to see if he could reach the lock.  I got him to unbuckle the top portion of his carseat, but he couldn’t do the bottom part, which prevented him from being able to reach.  I could see him get panicked so I made some funny faces and reassured him.  I was pretty sure if he could slide his straps down he would be able to reach back and unlock the door.  Explaining to him to slide his straps down his arms proved a challenge.  “Pull them off your shoulders” turned to “point to your shoulders for me,” then, “ok touch the seatbelt on your shoulders” and “now just pull them down over your arms.” After about five minutes, he finally figured out how to wriggle out, reached over to unlock the door and rescue us.  Not a moment too soon, too, as Avery had just thrown my keys and was flipping out.  Obviously this happens the first time Brady, who would have been able to fix the problem quickly, isn’t in the car with us.

So I’ve had kids for five years and have only locked them in twice.  Not bad.  And only one required the police.  But both happened outside my gym, coincidentally.  I am super thankful how cool it was outside, it kept me cool and calm myself knowing that while they might cry, they’d be fine.  Had this happened like any other time in the last few months, I might’ve had to break a window and I’m not exactly sure how that would’ve gone down.

Kindergarten wore this kid out. As we were packing up around 3:30, I walked by Brady's room and found him like this.


 

Let's hope Avery does a lot of that tonight. She has a cold and was up about 4-5 times last night (I lost count) so I'm not optimistic about sleeping in a foreign place. Here's to hoping!!

No comments:

Post a Comment