Monday, May 22, 2023

Letters to Brady: 12 years old

 Dear Brady,

Happy 12th! You are entering your last year of life before teenagerhood, and it's hard to believe. You're about to end your first year of middle school and like most things in your life, you managed with ease. I've been impressed with your ability to manage all the things you're involved with. In the Spring, you tried out for middle school soccer, a sport you have only played on that playground. You were competing with 7th and 8th graders for a spot on the roster, and with a whole slew of kids trying out, I thought maybe this would be a good opportunity for you to deal with the disappointment of trying for something but falling short. Sorry for doubting you because you didn't let your deficiencies hold you back and you made the team! From there, it was off to the middle school sports races, following soccer with basketball, and then baseball.  Of course, you still have non-middle school teams, and all of this made for a very busy year. You had some late nights, but always made sure you did your homework and we never had to drag you out of the bed in the morning. 

Though sports seem to dominate your life, you're a well-rounded kid with many talents. You've always been gifted at drawing and I love when you get inspired. Turns out you're good at drawing Jordan's, and you also enjoy wearing them. Singer/songwriter is a new skill set you're working to hone, one a bit out of left field. You've dabbled in your favorite genre - rap. You came home earlier this year telling me that your song was in your friends' heads, a real win! While your drawing and writing did not stem from your father, his social nature and love of friends seems to have trickled down to you. 


You're an easy kid to love, and love you I do. I've enjoyed watching you grow this last year, and I wish you wonderful things in your 12th year of life. 


Love,


MOM

No comments:

Post a Comment