Dear Avery,
Double digits! I can hardly believe my baby is 10. When you popped out 10 years ago, I had no idea what a gift having a daughter would be. But that is certainly what you are!
Speaking of popping, you popped up bright and early this morning at 5:30, excited to be 10, and ready for a basketball-filled day. Your team got smoked in all three games, but you play with such heart, passion, and grit, no matter the score. Nobody fights for a jump ball like you do. During one such instance today, you completely ripped the ball from a girl (maybe a second or so after the whistle had been blown) and she flew to the ground. But without losing a beat, you immediately went to her and offered her a hand up. The parents were laughing and one noted, "it's like punching somebody in the face and then immediately going over and patting them on the back." It's not a perfect comparison, because you are so kind and would never punch anyone, but you are as fierce as you are kind, and you show that they are not mutually exclusive.
I continue to be awed how comfortable you are in your own skin. My wish for the next ten years is that you maintain that confidence. Keep flexing in the mirror. Keep loving your glasses. Keep seeing yourself for the beauty that you are.
You're also comfortable in almost any room. You're able to talk to adults in a way that few children can. And it's not only that you are good and tolerate it, but you enjoy interacting with all sorts of people and thrive in environments that make many uncomfortable. I love watching your individual relationships with the UNC players. One of your current favorites is Luka, an international student from Montenegro. You and dad took him shopping and helped move him into his apartment. He cracks you up with his choppy english. There's nothing you like more than tagging along with your father on his work adventures. Do you know how boring others kids' parents' jobs are compared to your dad's?
Avery, you are insightful and thoughtful. You are self-sufficient and independent. You are hilarious and clever. You are competent and helpful. I could think of 100 attributes, but no number of descriptive words can encapsulate just how special you are. I tell you at least once a week that I feel so lucky to be your mom. The reality is I feel that way each and every day. I'm so proud of the young lady you're becoming and excited to watch you grow.
I love you.
Love,
Mom
No comments:
Post a Comment