Monday, August 29, 2011

There's no place like home

Dorothy sure knew what she was talking about.  After a great trip to Texas where everything is bigger (and hotter), it feels great to be home with unlimited access to Brady.  Eric went home for backup this weekend, so Brady got to spend some quality time with his grandparents and his Aunt Claire and Uncle Dave.  Of course, he got a long just fine without me, although part of me likes to think that deep down in that 3 month old soul, he missed his mommy.  I do think he's happy to be drinking straight from the tap again, so he missed part of me at least.  Back to my trip.  Below are some highlights and lowlights of my trip to Austin.

Lowlights:

-Pumping:  I am actually one of those people that enjoys nursing....with one small caveat.  I prefer to nurse a baby and not a piece of plastic.  On both my trips through Dallas, I spent some time in the handicapped stall of the bathroom.  Unfortunately, I ran into some trouble on my return trip.  See, I paid extra for a pump that had both the plug-in and battery option.  The battery option comes in handy when you're say, in the Dallas airport trying to pump.  For reasons still unknown to me, the pump was operating at about 50% of its power with the battery and it just wasn't cutting it.  So off to the sinks where I could find a plug-in.  I imagine some passing travelers who were washing their hands wondered what disease I was treating that required me to stick tubes up my shirt.  Anyway, that was one way to pass time during a layover.

-Freezing flight: I'm not sure which is worse...being cold on a flight or being hungry.  Doesn't really matter, because I was both.  Like, my feet were numb kind of cold.  Any thoughts I had of sleeping went out the window.  Before takeoff, a baby on my flight was SCREAMING (although who could blame him, he probably couldn't feel his feet either).  I saw and heard some eyeball rolls and heavy sighs from the guy next to me and I could tell he wanted me to join his pity party.  What he didn't know was that my sympathies lay with the mom.  At least after the flight, he could get off the plane and never hear that baby again.  That mom didn't have such a luxury.

-Late night + early flight:  We stayed out late Saturday night and a 3 am bedtime and 6 am wake up equals 3 hours of sleep (for all you non math majors out there).  Suprisingly, I actually felt pretty good and after a cup of coffee, I can't say I felt anymore tired than usual.  Apparently, my body has adjusted to lack of sleep and was like, "Eh, no biggie."

-High heels: I have a cute pair of particularly high heels that have been gathering dust on my shoe rack.  I thought Saturday night out would be a fitting occasion to add a few inches to my height.  The cuteness factor was not proportional to the pain factor...not even close.  After a night of standing and walking, my dogs were barking...like louder than the baby on the plane.  I was reminded of why they were gathering dust in the first place.  Back to the rack they go.

-Missing Brady: No need to expound.

Hightlights:

-Sleep:  As a contrast to Saturday night, Friday night was fabulous.  I did wake up at 5:30 to nurse my plastic baby, but after pumping, I went back to sleep until 9.  When I did wake up, it was to the small of bacon...yum.  I had a breakfast taco and a mimosa and thought I died and went to heaven.

-Old friends and new friends: There were 9 other girls at the party this weekend and prior to the party, I only knew 2 of them.  9 minus 2 equals 7 (again, you're welcome) and that is how many new friends I made.  As a bonus, there was a Trinity wedding Saturday night and I met up with some old friends who ended up at a bar nearby post-wedding.  Catching up with them took my mind off my feet for a few minutes.

-On time flights: I can't say enough about how awesome on time flights are, especially in the wake of Irene.  I'll take an on time cold flight 10 times out of 10.  I was so thankful to get home to my boys on schedule.

Obviously, the biggest highlight was seeing Brady again (um, and Eric), but since that is obvious and not technically part of the trip, I will omit it from my official list.  As a huge sleep fan and coming off a short night's sleep, you can figure how much I love my little guy when I actually looked forward to his 1st late-night feeding.  Now his 2nd one was a different story....

No comments:

Post a Comment