Friday, January 15, 2016

A bunch of suckers

We've got lots of suckers in our house these days.  Me, in a million ways, every day.  Like when I believe Jackson when he begs for a banana and I tell him yes, but only if he eats the whole  thing.  One bite later, he is done.  But man, he really did need that one bite.
 
Brady is a different kind of sucker, and one we are trying to make an ex-sucker.  He is as loyal a thumb sucker as they come and after 4 1/2 years, it is time to cut it off (not literally).  I've always said that when he drops his nap, we'll work on the thumb, and that time is here.  We are in week one of putting the "yucky stuff" on Brady's thumb each morning.  Surprisingly, Brady has been very receptive to this and even paints it on himself each morning.  Basically, its bitter tasting nail polish to discourage thumb sucking.  So the good news is that during the day, he has been great and he doesn't suck his thumb.  Apparently, the yucky stuff isn't bitter enough, because at night, he still sucks it.  Perhaps next week, we will reapply at bedtime, but I'm happy with the baby steps we've made so far.
 
 
 
 
The irony, of course, is that I'd love if Avery would take over Brady's bad habits and participate in a little self-soothing.  There are moments when I think she will be a thumb sucker like her brother.
 




 
The girl will not take a paci, that she has made abundantly clear.  What she loves, though, is to suck on my fingers.  My new way of getting her to fall asleep is a bit unconventional, but more comfortable.  Before, I was standing up bouncing for as long as it took her to sleep.  It can get exhausting, and super frustrating when she is a asleep in my arms only to wake when she is laid down.  Now, I sit comfortably in the nursery chair, reading my book on my phone, while Avery lies in the rock 'n play (which is like a bassinet), next to me, with my ring finger in her mouth.  And hopefully the boys not killing themselves in neighboring room.  It is progress, and I've got some good reading done.
 
Jackson is a paci sucker, and I had a crazy thought right before we started with Brady's thumb weaning that we'd take Jackson's paci away at the same time.  Then I had a night when Avery woke up about 7 times (so basically, a normal night) and I wondered what in the world I was thinking. I just don't know if I have it in me to take away Jackson's great love.  He is so sweet and I'd probably cry and cave as soon as his pitiful self cried for his paci.
 
I told you, I'm a bit of a sucker myself.


No comments:

Post a Comment