Thursday, January 7, 2016

Musings of a mom

Motherhood is a roller coaster.   Some moments I feel like the luckiest person in the world as I gaze at my beautiful children and feeling sorry for shmucks out there who are not experiencing the amazingness that is my life.  And four seconds later, I hate every person out there who is pooping in private.  Or envying each and every sleeping person in America who is enjoying their warm bed and REM sleep.  Or despising you clean people who shower daily and don't have to rearrange their schedule to do so.

Three kids is no joke, people.  I haven't written on the blog as much as I'd like to... and not for lack for material.  Actually, I feel bad sometime because I have So. Much. Material.  And too little time/energy.  My mom put this on Facebook the other day and its the type of thing that, when I had one kid, I would totally have locked this away on some book or blog entry.  Now, I just have to laugh, like, and move on.

Me: The pilot says to keep our seat belts on.
Grandson (4): Why is a pirate flying this plane?

‪#‎kidssaythedarndestthings

And yes, my mom did hashtag.

The above conversation is from Brady, obviously, but Jackson, at 2 1/2, says so many things each day that I want to bottle them up for later so I can revisit the cuteness.  His vocab is extensive, but his innocence makes for adorable conversations and revelations.  Like how he sings the Star Spangled Banner at the top of his lungs when he's on the pot (and many other places).  Like how he insists that a granola bar be called a gumball, no matter how many times Brady or I correct him.  Or how he asked only for candy from Santa.  Or how he always says, "Avery spit out!" when is sister spits up.  So much cuteness that can not be adequately described in words.  But perhaps it can in song.




A brief interruption:  I started writing this Tuesday evening (who knows what day it will be published) after the kids were all in bed.  I was savoring the peace, when Avery started to cry (about 10:15) so I quickly shut my laptop and conceded that the battle had begun and I would be upstairs for the night.  And an epic battle it was, with one clear winner and two clear losers (with very tired eyes).  I will not spell it out for you, but I will say that at the moment, Avery is a terrible nighttime sleeper, waking up every 2 hours and sometimes staying awake for nearly as long.  Its misery even when I have a husband to help and torture when I don't.  I hate to think about Avery's fate had we known this was coming.  Oh, of course, we would still have had her (I tell you in the light of the day).  After having three bad baby sleepers, I have to look in the mirror and wonder if the problem lies in the tired face in front of me. 

So what do I do?  This is not rhetorical, people, I need help!  Please don't tell me I'll miss this is 30 years because I will punch you in the throat. I am a human and, therefore, currently need and will always need to sleep.  I know, I know, it is a phase, and apparently there is something called a four month sleep regression.  She wasn't particularly progressive in the first place, but this is definitely going the wrong direction.

Eric leaves tomorrow for a basketball trip.  He was lamenting about being in Syracuse all day Saturday since the game isn't until 8 pm.  What will he do?  He is staying in a hotel.... by himself.  The misery.... the misery.  Needless to say, he was barking up the wrong tree talking to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment