Sunday, August 7, 2016

Baby burn

Most mornings in our house are pretty "peaceful." Peaceful is in quotes, because peace is relative when you have three kids. Last Tuesday morning, things were not peaceful. I was trying to do all the normal morning activities, while also trying to pick up the house in preparation of the cleaning crew that comes twice a month. Add to my plate Jackson, who was a hot mess. We had returned from our trip the evening before, and he was not himself after a long week of travel. 

So it was an act of God when I got the three kids out the door while our house got cleaned. I had to physically insert Jackson into his car seat as I set out for a much needed Starbucks before going to the gym. My Starbucks closes at 10, so I hit it before going to the gym and since I order my drink extra hot, it's still good after my work out. 

I'll back up. I go to this particular Satrbucks, which is actually in a hotel, because I have a Starbucks-for-life card. Yes, I know, amazing right? Needless to say, the Starbucks ladies know me well. So when one of the workers saw Jaxkson standing outside the sliding glass door, refusing to enter, she came to my rescue to collect my mug so she could get started on my drink. And then she asked Jackson if he wanted a muffin. Amazing how quickly things turned around at the suggestion of a muffin.  So we grabbed a corner booth and I split the muffin for the boys. My drink was delivered and things were looking up.  Before I was able to screw my lid on, Brady kicked the table, sending my coffee flying into my lap, and Avery's lap. Did I mention I order my coffee extra hot? 

Obviously, Avery is screaming. For a long time. Her legs were red, and I was glad to have gotten burnt too, so I had some sense of her pain level. It definitely didn't feel real good, though the burn wasn't severe. The Starbucks ladies were great and I took Avery back into the kitchen where they gave me burn salve.  And Brady felt bad, and hesitantly asked if he could still eat his muffin. 

So yeah, rough morning. Thankfully, it didn't seem to bother her the rest of the day, despite appearances. 

 

No mother-(or brother) of-the-year awards being handed out here!

No comments:

Post a Comment