Thursday, May 19, 2011

Doomsday Baby?

You may have heard recent reports that Judgment Day is drawing near.   Led by Harold Camping, a group of Christians hold the belief that in two days, the day of Rapture will be upon the world.  This will begin with an earthquake, which I believe is scheduled to hit at 6pm and at that time, 200 million who are saved will be taken to heaven while the rest of the world sticks around on earth for 5 months waiting for the end of the world (October 21st).  Harold screwed up once, predicting the end of the world back in 1994, but apparently at the ripe age of 89, he's had enough time to hone his calulation skills and his followers have given him another chance to redeem himself (no pun intended).

I was really hoping to enter Doomsday not being pregnant.  I always envisioned during my ascension to heaven, I'd be donning a beautiful white dress that hugged my nice slim figure, not wearing my husband's white undershirt and boxer shorts, which is ususally my outfit at 6pm on any given day.

The upcoming events have given me pause for reflection about the similarities between trying to predict the end of time and trying to predict the birth of a child.  There is a reason Doomsday and Due Date sound awfully similar and their greatest similarity is that neither can be predicted.  There is some beauty and reason in that, but it frustrates both Christians and pregnant people who just want to know!  There is a good chance that on May 22, I will still be on this earth and I will still be pregnant.  I am coming to terms with accepting both.

2 comments:

  1. Doomsday baby would certainly be better than a Friday the 13th child! Amy, I admire your sense of humor and patience. It will certainly be needed in the many years to come!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you think they have Labor and Delivery Wards in heaven? :) If that baby doesn't come by 6 p.m. tomorrow, God is going to have to let you deliver in heaven. Heck - you probably don't even need an epidural in heaven, because there is no pain there. On the other hand, this might mean you'll be pregnant for all of eternity if they don't have L&D services in the big sky. Cause I'm sure this dude is 100% correct in predicting the end of the world. Just because Jesus himself doesn't know the day of judgement (Mark 13:31-37), doesn't mean that this guy wouldn't know. :) --- Anna

    ReplyDelete