Thursday, June 23, 2011

Mooo

How am I to resist?
Milk.  My world seems to revolve around it these days.  And thanks to my spitting baby, it seems to be everywhere; on Brady's clothes, on my clothes, in Brady's (receding) hair, in my hair, in Brady's mouth, in my mouth. What??!! I know this requires an explanation and with only a slight fear of oversharing, I will:  One of my favorite physical attributes of Brady is his kissable lips, and kiss them I do.  Eric keeps telling me I'm going to make Brady into a sissy, but he has to work all day so fortunately, he can only monitor my kiss count at night.  So a few day ago, I was sitting on the couch and Brady was on my legs looking up at me.  He had eaten over an hour before and coming up on his next feeding, so one would expect any spit up from the previous feeding would have already made itself known.  You may see where this story is going.  I leaned down to kiss those sweet lips and at the very moment our lips touched (ok, this is weirdly sounding like a trashy romance novel), Brady's last meal made an appearance, which caused the maker of that meal to spit-up a bit herself.  Seriously, a half second earlier and I would have been in the clear; a half second later and I would have known better.  But apparently, Brady was teaming up with his father and trying to deter my affections.  He must not have gotten the memo that his mom is stubborn and loves him very much.  A combination that only means more kissing, not less.  And my guess is he doesn't have many more moves in his arsenal to deter my affections.  At least for now.

Speaking of milk, and kissing, I'm kissing dairy goodbye, beginning today.  The Zantac has not seemed to solve Brady's tummy problems and the next step is to cut out dairy products from my diet, to see if Brady has sensitivity to cow's milk.  The irony of this is not lost on me as I am producing enough milk to feed twins, yet the milk I'm drinking might be hurting Brady.  Did I mention I love dairy?  The pediatrician asked me a few weeks ago, when we were inquiring about Brady's problem, if I ate a lot of dairy.  I said no.  Then I went home and discovered how many things I ate that qualified as dairy.  Butter, cheese, cottage cheese, cream cheese, ice cream, sour cream, yogurt: not sure where I thought these all fit in the food pyramid, but I was disappointed we couldn't squeeze these in the grain category, which frankly in my opinion, has the whole bottom floor and plenty of room.  This isn't the way I wanted to lose those extra 7 pounds, but if I can fit back in my old clothes and Brady feels better, I'll consider that a win for everyone.  Anyone with some good dairy/soy-free recipes, please send them my way!

On a positive note, we went to the doctor today and Brady is looking healthy and weighing in at 10 lbs 12 oz. We saw our friends Shelley and Jonathan in the lobby with their 3 week old son, Winston.  It's weird to see Brady looking big next to anyone!

2 comments:

  1. OK, I am cracking up at your posts. Love the "grain on the food pyramid" comment. You're a great writer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Amy, it's Becky Salzbrenner (now Marshall). I'm stalking you and read your latest post. My youngest Peter is seriously allergic to everything under the sun, and my experience started with eliminating dairy and soy from my diet. Here are some websites I initially found helpful, although now we know he is allergic to much more than milk, but I hope they help you with Brady. http://www.foodallergy.org/page/milk-allergy
    http://hubpages.com/hub/Dairy-Intolerance-in-Babies--Children
    http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/931548-overview
    http://refluxrebels.com/MSPI/Myths.html
    http://www.nursingmomrecipes.com/index.html
    http://www.kellymom.com/store/freehandouts/hidden-dairy01.pdf
    If you need or want to talk about it any more, please feel free to email orcall me. My number is 5059803341 and my email is beckysmarshall@gmail.com. Good luck and hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete