Monday, September 12, 2011

I dream of sleep...and an adolescent son

I will preface this post by saying that I have a really laid back, easy baby who I love.  If I had to choose between a night terror and a day terror, I'll take the night one.  And while my child can hardly be classified as a "terror," he seems to be regressing and his night time routine is starting to get under my skin.  Here was last night's schedule, which lately, has been pretty typical:

8 pm: Brady goes down
11 pm: Brady wakes, eats, back to sleep
1 am: Brady wakes, eats, back to sleep
3:30 am: Brady wakes (thanks for the extra 30 minutes!), eats, back to sleep
5:30 am: Brady wakes, snacks, back to sleep
5:45 am: Brady wakes, dad goes in to pop a paci in, back to sleep
6 am: Brady wakes, mom tries paci (gives up quickly and gives him what he really wants), Brady snacks, back to sleep
7 am: Brady wakes up smiling!

"Hey mom, why the long face?"
I had about 8 dreams last night that I can remember because my REM cycle kept being interrupted.  You know those dreams that make no sense when you retell them, but at the time, they could not be more real?  In this very real dream, I was driving in my car and looked in my rear view mirror.  In Brady's car seat was a boy, probably about 12 years old.  It was Brady, but I had somehow missed the years between baby and pre-teen.  Not that this detail is important, but my son wasn't exactly the cutest 12 year old you've ever seen and I did not feel particularly maternal towards this person who was my blood.  He had dark hair that looked like it needed to be cut - his bangs were in his eyes and I got the impression he was the type of kid who played Dungeons and Dragons and listened to Kiss.  He definitely did not want anything to do with his parents.  I remember feeling helpless: where had all those years gone??  Some parents like to say that one day they woke up and all of the sudden their kids were all grown up.  In my case, I went to sleep and this happened.  Needless to say, while I wasn't thrilled about being jolted from sleep from the real Brady, it was nice to go look into his 3 month old face and know that at least for now, he needed his mommy.

1 comment:

  1. Have you read the book Baby Wise? Might give some good pointers. I didn't follow the program completely....but I sure listened to the sleep/wake/play cycle. Something to consider, unless you like being a zombie. :)

    ReplyDelete