Monday, March 5, 2012

Who woke the monster?

Brady came to a clear conclusion a few weeks ago: he did not like his crib and would avoid it at all costs.

I was under the misguided impression that as babies got older, sleeping got better.  Brady has proved this theory bogus.  While I wasn't thrilled about our "old" sleeping schedule, it was manageable.  Here's how it went: 

7 pm: Put Brady down awake, but tired.  After perhaps a few whimpers, he falls quickly asleep. 
11 pm: Brady wakes before we go to bed.  Feed him, give him a quick snuggle, and watch as he falls peacefully back to sleep. 
3 am: Brady wakes.  I sleepwalk into his room and repeats previous cycle.

Here's how it goes now:

7:30ish: Put Brady down in the crib - he could be fully awake or half asleep, doesn't matter, result will be the same.  Watch him pop up immediately brace myself for screams. Go downstairs and debate with husband whether we should go up and try to soothe him or let him cry.
12:30 am: After I am fully into my REM cycle, Brady wakes up.  Feed him and imagine that since he has fallen asleep in my arms, certainly it will be an easy transition to the crib.  Be wrong about that...again.
4 am:  See above.  Go back to bed and put pillow over my head.

Last night, I came back to bed and Brady was still crying, and Eric asked if I thought there is something wrong with him.  Well, yes, obviously he's not going back to sleep, which is definitely wrong.

I've been letting him do lots more crying in his crib lately, because the last thing I want to do is have him think that every time he cries, he'll get picked up.  This is difficult, especially when I swear I hear "mama" come through the baby monitor.  Also difficult because I know he would go to sleep immediately if I'm holding him and often, there is nothing I'd rather do than cuddle up and sleep with him.  But, I'm trying to establish some type of good sleeping pattern.  Which I'm clearly doing a fabulous job at.

Sometimes it seems like everyone's child is sleeping through the night except mine.  I mostly want to shoot fire at those fortunate families.  And for those who had babies sleeping through the night after a few weeks/months, well, they deserve a special kind of torture.

But then I see Brady during the day.  Anyone who spends time with him comments how easy-going and happy he is.  We were at a friends house watching the Duke game and she commented how her high-maintenance daughter would never have played by himself so happily like Brady was doing.  So the same moms I want to trade places with at night may want to do the same to me during the day. 

So I'll drink my coffee and keep what I've got.

No comments:

Post a Comment