I was walking into the baby store this afternoon with Brady and was stopped in the parking lot by a lady driving a truck. She was about 50 years old and as she drove up next to me, she asked if I had a second. "Sure," I replied, thinking she was asking for directions to a nearby store.
Instead, I got a very different question. She pulled out a catalogue and opened up to a page which featured several gravestones.
"Would you like to buy a headstone?" she inquired. "For a good cause," she added.
The last time I was asked to buy something from this type of catalogue I think my options were wrapping paper and chocolate. This was different.
I politely declined her offer. What the good cause was, I never found out; I didn't want her to waste her breath. I'm pretty sure the only cause to buy a headstone would be my death, and I'm just not there yet. I'm all about practicality and advanced planning, but this seems a little too advanced and I think I'm going to go the cremation route anyway.
"You have a cute baby," chirped the lady trying to bury me as she drove away.
I don't know what kind of success she had on this beautiful spring day, but I can't imagine headstones were flying off the shelf. I'm no marketing genius, but it seems that selling headstones in front of Buy Buy Baby may not be the best business decision. Convince the ladies producing life that they need to think of the afterlife seems like trying to sell ice cream to eskimos. But compliment their babies and you never know!
No comments:
Post a Comment