Thursday, March 24, 2016

A Philly vacation: a dream come true

Ever had a peaceful day? I think I did one time. And I could be confused, but I might be having one right now.  Avery is curled up in the nook of my arm snoozing in a hotel room in Philadelphia. Why aren't I sleeping, you ask? Well, because my husband called a bit ago and woke me up from a glorious sleep. Honestly, I don't even remember what he asked or told me, so clearly not important enough to arouse such wonderful slumber.

Honestly, I was a little happy to be woken from my dream. You know those dreams that are so vivid you can't quite separate them from reality? Here is mine:

We are in Philly and Eric and I are out to dinner with Eric Montross (maybe because I had lunch with him today?), my old boss, and some UNC boosters who we ran into at the restaurant. Eric is completely hammered and was almost falling asleep during the meal. I was pissed because I had told him to slow down before dinner but he was slamming Jack Daniels straight from the bottle.   Then he puts his head down and starts crying and he had to crawl under the table in order to avoid everyone seeing him.  I pulled him through the restaurant and went to the family restroom. Since we didn't have a child with us, we got suspicious glances from patrons. No really people, I wanted to tell them, that's not what we're doing here.  This part is slightly fuzzy, but then he tells me on our one year anniversary he had a "moment" (his words not mine) with one of the coaches from the women's team and I told him I didn't believe him and was mad at him for trying to deflect the conversation away from his current actions and didn't he realize how I rarely got nights out without the kids. He admitted that no, he never cheated on me at which point their was a knock on the family restroom.

As dreams do, I was transported back to Chapel Hill where I was home with Avery who was sleeping in her carseat.  I saw on the news as the police gathered outside my neighbor's house and were arresting the grandfather of one of the children because he had been abusing them. He'd always seemed creepy (like in real life) and my suspicions were confirmed (in my dream). I went outside for some reason and thought Avery would be fine just for a minute. But I ended up around the block so I rode my bike (?) quickly to try to get back but a teenager swooped in front of me and made me swerve into the grass. I was furious, asked him his name and he wouldn't tell me so I proceeded to lecture him while he mocked me. Then I knocked on his door and gave his mortified mom the rundown. Meanwhile, I knew in my heart that Avery was awake screaming in my house but I had to make sure justice was served at this house.

I think that's when the phone rang. Two lecture in one dream. What a nag I have become.

Meanwhile, in real life, Avery is still sleeping soundly next to me. You know when she didn't sleep soundly? Last night. I dropped the boys off with Erics parents last night -- I needed a trip with less of my children -- and Avery went to sleep at 9:30. She woke up at 12, 2, 4, 5:15 and 6:15. Brutal. But it was peaceful just getting two people ready to leave the house. We flew out at 9:30 and Avery was easy as can be.


I had a Philly Cheesesteak (she had some too) then we crashed. Eric will be back to the room soon and perhaps we can have a pseudo-date night!  That hopefully ends better than the one of my dreams!

No comments:

Post a Comment