Saturday, March 5, 2016

Saturday night highlight reel

Saturday was a big day in our house.  Let's see, it was cousin Hudson's birthday, the UNC/Duke game, and of course, the big matchup between the Red Dragons and the yellow team (apologies to the yellow team for not knowing your name... oh, and for crushing you).

The Red Dragons continued their undefeated streak with a 20-6 victory and the coach from the other team was overheard saying, "Where did these guys come from?  They're like an AAU team!" Brady's team is fairly stacked and it is probably frustrating for the kids who don't spend 5 hours a day playing, thinking, and talking about basketball.

This was the first week I pulled out my video to catch Brady in action.  Partially, because my phone is in a perpetual state of "storage full" and at the end of the day when I have time to do things like write on a blog, transfer pictures from my phone, and pay bills, I usually just pour myself a drink and play a few games of Candy Crush.  Anyway, back to the video.  Brady will break no records for the most assists in a game, but he has been known to pass on occasion (I think the YMCA lady actually took him by the shoulders at the end of the game and forced him to pass), and he is pretty good at celebrating, and he will definitely keep the scorekeeper in check.  Oh, and he realized he will not get called for traveling.



I sent this to my brothers, to which Brad responded.

"This already surpassed the scoring and excitement of the 7th grade Sacred heart girls basketball game I once watched where the final score was 4-2."
 
 
Which is a total lie.  Very possibly a halftime score though.  Which reminds me of the time in high school where we beat a team 98-4 (give or take a point or two).  We weren't allowed to do fast breaks and our coaches cringed every time we made a bucket (we couldn't miss that night).  This week, my high school coaches, Bob and Sharon Hanson, announced they are retiring.  They were by far the best coaches I ever had and I really hope my children are blessed enough to have great coaches in their lives like I did.  They can really make a positive impact and unfortunately, can go the other direction, too.

But back to the Red Dragons.  Its been a fun season for Brady and hopefully today was the last day for him since we hope to be in DC next Saturday playing for the ACC tournament championship.  Lucky for Brady, the participation medals came one week early.




And can we talk about the other game, please?  I was on hand to witness Carolina lose to Duke earlier this year in what Eric called "maybe the worst one." He's been around a while, so that is saying something.  The win at Cameron clinched the ACC regular season championship and I'm so happy for the players and coaches.  It was such a weird year with so many teams so close... we won, but a few more bad plays here and there (do you remember how we almost lost to the winless BC) and we may be in the middle of the ACC.  Let's hope this is the beginning of some good things.
 
We watched the game at my house with the Davis clan (minus Elijah who got to sit next to Tyler Hansbrough at the game and, therefore, got his ear televised frequently) and my friend Shawna.  She is drowning in school as she has started the nursing program at UNC.  When I invited her, she informed me she might bring over her homework (along with her kids). Lucky for her, there are worse things than studying during the UNC/Duke game.  Like cheering for Duke.  Not that those people would ever be invited over.


 
So, here is the post-game celebration video, which was only a few octaves louder than our house was during the rest of the game.  I'm not sure how much studying Shawna accomplished, but kudos to her for trying.

 
 
I'm not sure about the state of my husband....he might be jumping over bonfires on Franklin Street, acting like he's not 35 (he is 35).  As long as he is home before Avery wakes up the next time (which he won't be).

Go Heels!
 
 

1 comment:

  1. Great post! Hate hearing my voice obnoxiously cheering-- gotta reign that in. But I do love those red dragons!!

    ReplyDelete