I don't believe in ghosts.
Although I've heard lots of stories from credible people who've had some spooky encounters, I haven't quite bought in. It's not that I think they're lying, but everyone knows eye witness accounts are the least reliable. And Occams Razor suggests the simplist explanation is generally the correct one. Did the ghost take your keys, or did you just misplace them? Did you really see a vision while you were sleeping, or were the effects of last night's alcohol still lingering? Call me a doubting Thomas, but there are just some things I have to experience myself to believe.
We spent the long weekend at a friend's place in Wilmington. It is one of the most beautiful pieces of property in Wilmington (so I'm told) and we've stayed there many times. The house itself is modest and was built in the 50's and supposedly, is home to a ghost.
Over the years, Eric and I have heard stories from the owner, Ken, his children (Eric's friend, Wes), and other houseguests who've experienced the ghost. The last night Ken ever stayed in this house was several years ago. He was wide awake and felt someone wrap their arms around him as if giving him a hug. He has no idea why, but he spoke the words, "I'll never leave you" aloud at that moment. That was the last night he ever stayed in the house. He bought a newer home in Wrightsville Beach and he now lets others stay at the "haunted" house. Thankfully, the ghost doesn't seem to hold a grudge that Ken immediately broke his promise to stay, and has been friendly, but present, ever since. Ken later found out the women who originally built the house was left by her husband.
The ghost has rubbed arms, stolen dog bones, and actually been seen by one of Ken's children. One woman who stayed there had a strange encounter, but didn't tell Ken until a year later. She hadn't heard the lore until then and didn't want to sound crazy.
Of course, since I don't believe in ghosts, I've never had any qualms about staying there and the ghost didn't even enter my thoughts going into the weekend. Friday night, we went to bed about 11:30. Brady woke up about 3 am and I groped my way to the bathroom to turn on the light. We had gone to bed with the light on, but I figured Eric must have got up to go to the bathroom and turned it off. I went to pick up Brady from the crib (and I remember thinking...how is Eric sleeping through all of this racket?), fed him, and put him back in the crib. I went to the kitchen to get a bottle of water and a quick snack myself (Brady's not the only one who gets to eat) and went back to bed. At 5:30, Brady woke up - I nudged Eric and as he got Brady out of the crib he asked, "Why did you put the iPad in the crib with Brady?" Eric handed Brady over and went to the bathroom, as I sat there confused, playing back the night's events in my head. When Eric came out, I sat there, very awake, and told him with wide eyes that I didn't put the iPad in the crib with Brady. Eric was standing next to the bed and he looked down at his feet and asked, "Well, what about these cords next to the bed?" Goosebumps ran down my body. The iPad cord had been plugged (with the iPad charging) into the outlet in the bathroom. My phone charger had also been plugged (without my phone) in the bathroom outlet. Both were sitting in a pile next to the bed.
I tried to convince myself for several minutes that I must have done it in my sleep. I have been known to sleepwalk in the past, so it's a semi-logical explanation. But whenever I've learned of my sleepwalking incidents, I've always had a vague recollection of what I've done or at least an inclination that I was up. And I've never done anything that I may not have done awake (ie get a late night snack). No part of me remembers waking up more than once in the middle of the night and no part of me thinks I would ever put anything in the crib with Brady, iPad included. It just doesn't fit.
Of course, I had to ask myself why a ghost would put an iPad in the crib with a baby and unplug some cords. When I was to the point of trying to figure out the logic of a ghost, I knew I had lost it.
So what's the simplest explanation...that I'm going nuts or that the ghost really does exist?
I think I might believe in ghosts.
No comments:
Post a Comment