Thursday, May 24, 2012

One Year in a Flash: Brady's party

This should be the last time I talk about Brady's birthday.

His party theme was "One Year in a Flash."  Which I found on Pinterest, of course.  I enjoyed designing and making the invitations and was glad to find a use for a bunch of leftover paper I used for our wedding invitations.


The time capsule idea was what really sold me on the theme.   We'll be burying it (in our attic) until 2030.  We had a lot of fun going through the capsule items after the party (we made sure Brady didn't see).  There was one item that didn't make it back to our house.  Some friends of contributed a bottle of wine and a twinkie as a test of what would hold up better after 18 years.  On the way home, Eric ate the twinkie and I drank the bottle of wine.  Just kidding...we were unloading the car and the bottle met its fate on the pavement.  Twinkie wins.  Luckily, the bottle was in a bag.

We had a the party at a park in Chapel Hill with a big shelter.  Since I decided I would make all the food for the party, there was a lot of preparation that went in to feeding over 50 people.  Which means there was lot of this:


Need to know what aisle the sugar is in?  Brady could probably tell you...in Harris Teeter, Food Lion, and the Kroger, grocery stores all within a 2.5 mile radius of us.  Probably Target too.  Clearly, I'm not very loyal when it comes to my groceries.  Side note:  I went to Food Lion to pick up a jar of dill pickles for the party.  I was having trouble opening them, which caused me to glance down at the expiration date (I admit, I don't always check if it comes straight from the store).  I'm willing to give stores a bit of a break on some things, but the expiration date was January of 2011.  And I've got to imagine pickles have a decently long shelf life, which means these pickles were probably sitting there over 2 years.  I'm not impressed, Food Lion.  Thanks for trying to poison our guests.

Like some things I decide to do, I probably bit off a bit more than I could (or wanted to) chew when I decided to decorate cookies as a party gift.  But I found some camera cookies cutters I couldn't resist.  Why did no one tell me that decorating cookies takes a long time?  And I'm not counting the time it took for me to research how to do them, to go to Michaels to get the supplies (another store Brady is intimately familiar with), and to figure out what Royal Icing was and how to make it.  I realized that I really like decorating them, but maybe next time I'll do 10 instead of 60.

Note the time on the clock.  That's am, not pm...way past my bedtime.
I didn't take many pictures during the party, but took a few before.  The most important...the dessert table.






Sort of forgot to get the other food.  Here's the only picture I got.


Of course, the most important thing:  the people!


It appears my mother-in-law and her sister-in-law go shopping at the same store.




And of course, the cake smash.  Brady was pretty clean about the whole thing.  Probably because we forgot to take his shirt off and he didn't want to get his nice polo dirty.  I've said it before...he's his father's son.


"Mom, you've been holding out on me!"



Cheers to a great first year!

No comments:

Post a Comment