Wednesday, February 1, 2012

New Years (a month late)

I'm not a New Years resolution kind of gal.  I never make them and therefore, never break them.  However,  for a long time, I've wanted to get our house a more organized.  When things are neat, it does something good to my psyche.  So since having an organized and clean house makes me so happy, why does it never seem to happen?  For one, it seems overwhelming as a whole.  So, in an effort to combat that problem, I've broken things up and made a chart.  Oh, charts, how great you are.  If cleaning and organizing were as fun as making charts, you could put my house in Better Homes & Gardens next issue.

So, I've made a chart.  I actually did this in my head while I was running today.  Feburary 1st and it's 70 degrees at 4pm!  That is insane and will clear anyone's head.  Actually, I do my best thinking while running, so why don't I do that more?  Probably same reason I don't clean/organize.  That first step out the door, or into the closet, is the toughest.


So here is my goal: Put a check mark in one clean category and one organize category each week. Hopefully, by April 1st, there will be more check marks than empty boxes (hey people, a year is a long time.  A 2 month resolution is more reasonable).  For exercise, I'll be tallying each time I perform said acts.  I want to run 4 miles at least 2x each week and do some sort of strength training for 15 minutes a day 3x a week.  I did a bunch of push ups yesterday for the first time in a long time.  My pecs were so sore that on my run today, I could feel the soreness each step.  I don't even know how that's possible.  I've been running a decent amount lately, but no muscle building.  I'm lighter than I was pre-baby, but since fat is lighter than muscle, I'm not convinced it is a good thing.

The create category isn't so much a goal, as my inspiration for arts and crafts is much higher than organizing my house.  But my chart needed a 4th category for symmetry, so you do what you gotta do.

My hope is that publicly declaring my goals, I will stay motivated.  After all, I certainly do not want to let the Internet down. And maybe this will inspire my husband to organize with me okiknowimcrazybutagirlcandream.

But it is Wednesday...so we can start next week, right?

1 comment:

  1. I love this. (I love charts too!) My favorite part is the flexibility (i.e. you can do things in whatever order you want as long as it's all done by the end of the cycle.)

    ReplyDelete